4th of July hatch along!

I candled mine last night too! I don’t think my light was bright enough because it was hard to tell. Anyway, there were three that were rotten, one was cracked two were iffy and three were obviously thriving. I left the three strong ones with her and I’m really happy about that number.

Side note, one of the three is a duck egg. I know they take a bit longer to hatch. Do y’all think it will be fine just to leave it when the chicks hatch? Or what?

I candled mine last night too! I don’t think my light was bright enough because it was hard to tell. Anyway, there were three that were rotten, one was cracked two were iffy and three were obviously thriving. I left the three strong ones with her and I’m really happy about that number.

Side note, one of the three is a duck egg. I know they take a bit longer to hatch. Do y’all think it will be fine just to leave it when the chicks hatch? Or what?

Sometime's it depend's on the color of the shell when you candle as to how well you will be able to see into them. Darker shell colored egg's are hard to see. Was the duck egg placed in the nest at the same time as the other egg's? If so, you may have to take it and finish the incubation process yourself. The hen will be off the nest after the other one's hatch.

All of the eggs are a cream or pastel green color.

Yes, they were all set at the same time. I went to a friends to grab some of her eggs. I actually got a mixture of freshly laid and refrigerated eggs. She threw the duck egg in for fun not knowing if it was actuality going to do anything. So, when the duck hatches will I need to brood it separately? I was planning on my broody raising the chicks.

All of the eggs are a cream or pastel green color.

Yes, they were all set at the same time. I went to a friends to grab some of her eggs. I actually got a mixture of freshly laid and refrigerated eggs. She threw the duck egg in for fun not knowing if it was actuality going to do anything. So, when the duck hatches will I need to brood it separately? I was planning on my broody raising the chicks.

Some seem to raise them together in the brooder and it seem's to work out ok, I think. But keep in mind that duck's love to get into the water, and you wouldn't want the chick's to follow them there into it and drown.

This hatch ought to be fun, hubby and I are scheduled to be gone over the 26th and 27th.. lol, guess who's suppose to start hatching? We're just going to be over the hill in Laughlin and I will be running back and forth to take care of the chickens and the dogs, so told DH that if I was taking longer than I normally would, he knows what's going on, I have 21 in the large incubator, 6 in the little one and I am going to be moving the broody and her 3 chicks to the old coop today.

Back
Top Bottom