4week chick with suspected coocidosis

RosieBright

Hatching
Nov 30, 2018
Hello,
I have a lovely 4 week light Sussex chick. The chick was happy and healthy until until last night when I noticed he was spending more time under the brooder than usual, constantly wanting to sleep, rarely eating and has loose bowels with blood in sometimes. The vets around my area don’t deal in chickens and I’m desperate to save him as I’m very fond of hi
. I suspect he has coocidosis but I’m no expert. He isn’t terribly unwell but I’ve definately noticed the changes. What can I do or give him to treat this? I’m in theUK in. Remote location so anytreatment will have to be ordered online but if any one knows if any natural treatment that would help in the mean time that would be brilliant

You will want to look for an amprolium product called Virbac. You should be able to buy it locally where they sell animal care products, livestock feed and care.

Amprolium is a coccidiostat and works by suppressing the thiamine in a chick's body, a vitamin that coccidia feed on. Interruption causes the coccidia not to be able to complete its life cycle and to die.

If you can see a vet to get a sulfa drug prescription, that would be a good idea as the blood in the chick's stool indicates possible erosion of the intestinal lining and infection.

Hello RosieBright.
Welcome to BYC.
Whereabouts in the UK are you?
Most vets will supply you with coccidia treatments.
Hello,
I’m in north cornwall. Thank you for your reply. I’ve finally managed to get hold of a vet who will see him but I’m unsure what to do as I was hoping to just pick up the medicine for him and now I’m unsure of what the cost would be.

Hello RosieBright.
Welcome to BYC.
Whereabouts in the UK are you?
Most vets will supply you with coccidia treatments.
You will want to look for an amprolium product called Virbac. You should be able to buy it locally where they sell animal care products, livestock feed and care.

Amprolium is a coccidiostat and works by suppressing the thiamine in a chick's body, a vitamin that coccidia feed on. Interruption causes the coccidia not to be able to complete its life cycle and to die.

If you can see a vet to get a sulfa drug prescription, that would be a good idea as the blood in the chick's stool indicates possible erosion of the intestinal lining and infection.
Hello,
I’m struggling to find virbac for chickens online, do you know of any online shops that sell it? Thank you very much

Back
Top Bottom