4wk chick hunched over and not foraging

babychickens321

Songster
Oct 17, 2021
London England
one of my 4week old chicks is sick and is hunched over and fluffed up. the others are running and foraging but this one just stands still in one part of the garden even if everyone else is across the garden. it might walk over several times but mainly just stands still and shows no interest in anything the others are doing. I think I have this medicine for coccidiosis but I dont know if it will harm everyone else drinking the water but I might have lost it.. this chick is super scared of everyone and although the others come and peck at our feet and investigate us, it stands really far away and fluffs up, and if you try to go near it, it screams and runs away. practically impossible to catch it.

thanks so much for the help! it wont harm anyone else will it?
It won't but...
I wouldn't put it in the water. Extract the correct dose from the bottle. Pour it into an egg cup or similar. Cut up some small cubes of bread (2mm x 2mm) and soak the cubes of bread in the liquid in the egg cup and feed these to the chick.
Always best to dose the individual bird if possible.

It won't but...
I wouldn't put it in the water. Extract the correct dose from the bottle. Pour it into an egg cup or similar. Cut up some small cubes of bread (2mm x 2mm) and soak the cubes of bread in the liquid in the egg cup and feed these to the chick.
Always best to dose the individual bird if possible.
much appreciated
I have just realised that
the bird that was hunched over and sick before is now completely FINE and in fact one that was the most active is really hunched over and sickly. that is really weird, because as they were going in the coop last night, the first chick was all sickly and literally today its not her? I differentiate them by comb sizes- the on estate was sick before practically had no comb, and now the one with no comb is fine, and the rooster with the biggest comb out of the 5 is sick? its really weird. now, I found the new sickly looking chick under a raspberry bush, so I took it out and gave it some water. almost immediately it tried to kick its way out of my hand and when I put it down it moved a little, then went back to being sick. I gave it a few sips several times and it got energy for like 3 seconds, then went back to being sick.

just went outside again.. the chick passed a poop in front of me which was kind of runny but not too much, kind of runnier than cecal poop and the colour was bright yellow. he is also limping, so I checked his foot and up to the knee, there was dried blood but it was really just dried blood, I couldn't find where the actual problem was.

the coxoid medicine arrived
im not sure about the dosage
i have baby birds which are bantams
C86A6203-0CD6-4A57-8552-A0DB206E60D4.jpeg
shadrach said to soak some bread with this, how much dosage for that? i dont have a container to put a gallon of water, i only have a 1 or 1.5 litre drinker for them.

Put 1 1/2 tsp in a quart or liter water. Then offer a drop or two of undiluted in a treat that she will eat twice a day, or give it with a dropper.

Back
Top Bottom