4wk Old White Silkies - NEW TO THE SILKIE WORLD

millerx6

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Farmville, Virginia
Hello,

My husband (James) and I (Laura) are new to the Silkie World. We just bought 6 4wk old White Silkies on 11/01/2008. We need all the info on them..... We have 2 Barred Rocks and 8 White Leghorns. If you can help us we would be greatly excited!!!!

Well, we are fedding them Dumor Starter Grower. Should they be given anything else, such as Vitamins or anything? We have been holding them and petting them and our kids are doing the same. I guess we need to know everything.

Quote:
Sounds like you need to pick up a copy of Storeys Guide to Raising Chickens, or some other "how to" book. And/or start Googling "chicken care."

There is NO WAY that anyone can tell you everything you need to know in just a few responses. All of this should have been done BEFORE you got the chicks.

With that being said, 4 week old chicks should be at a temperature of about 75 degrees in the brooder. You are doing fine with the starter/grower feed. If its not a medicated, and you aren't organically minded, I would get them on some kind of cocci treatment. And you dont need any extra vitamins or anything at this time if you are using a commercially prepared complete feed. Treats are another issue, that you'll have to research on your own and find what works for you. I dont give treats but that is just me. chicks should have something like 2-4 inches of feeder space per bird, and depending on your brooder setup, they may need more or less room. There are 1,000 answers to your very broad question.... You're going to have to do some reading and get a basic knowledge of chick care in order to fully know what you are doing.

As far as the Silkie breed itself, it isn't any different than caring for other breeds, unless you plan to show them then grooming and a little more hands on work is required. They can't see very well when they are older, especially if they have large top knots, so they are often targets for predatory animals, especially the white variety. It is said that hawks can see them better, so 9 times out of ten if a hawk is going to get a Silkie, its going to be a white.

Some people have success keeping Silkies with other large breeds, but its been my experience that they will get picked on a little more often. Nothing says you can't keep them with other birds, but just be aware and keep a closer eye on them.

Silkies are just as cold tolerant as other birds. They have the same amount of feathers, they are just in a different structure. Treat them the same as you would any other chicken in the winter. In extreme temperatures for extended periods of time, put out a heat lamp. If you're in a moderate climate, I wouldn't worry about it as it probably doesn't get cold enough to hurt them anyway.

Silkies lay small beige colored eggs, and are broody experts. Its been said that a Silkie will try to hatch a door knob if given the chance. A lot of people use them to hatch out other eggs naturally, and they are often used on game farms to hatch out quail and pheasant.

Ok I'm tired now.... Anything else thats you want to know specifically, your going to have to specifically ask about...

oh one more thing....YOU CANNOT SEX A SILKIE UNTIL IT NEARS SIX MONTHS OLD! Educated guesses can be made prior to that, but time is the only true way to know for sure....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry that you feel that we are not compitent or something. We just wanted to know some thing specificly about White Silkies. We have other chickens, but some one had made the comment that Silkies were different to care for. We don't need to get a care for chicks guide or anything, We have raised other chickens and they are all fine.

Sounds like you need to pick up a copy of Storeys Guide to Raising Chickens, or some other "how to" book. And/or start Googling "chicken care."

There is NO WAY that anyone can tell you everything you need to know in just a few responses. All of this should have been done BEFORE you got the chicks.

This was a little strong, being he assumed that we did not ever raise chicks before. It is stated that we have other chickens above in the thread.​

Anyhow, enough of is mess. All we wanted was some insight on the breed and to make sure they were like any other chick.

Don't know how you got anything negative out of his response. You asked a very general question, and he gave you a very general answer.

We never came here or wanted to cause any issues with anyone. I guess that sometimes people assume things and then react on their assumptions. Anyway, we are done with this issue and prefer not to communicate on this issue any more. All we want is to enjoy BYC and members. We apologize if you feel that we have in some way offened anyone and please except our apologies.

Anyhow, we will be taking pictures of our Silkies soon.​

Back
Top Bottom