4wk Old White Silkies - NEW TO THE SILKIE WORLD

Our Silkies are in a giant aquarium. They ahve pine beding, water, and a feeder full of Dumor Starter/Grower 20%. They are in my house, well in the kitchen. They are completely funny to watch. They are doing very well.

These are the ways my silkies are different from my other chickens.

They don't roost up on a roost but I have 2 by 4 pieces in their pen that they sit on.

They cuddle together to sleep.

I trim their feathers around their eyes so they can see better. Be careful not to trim too close.

They are not as proficient free-ranging.

They tend to follow me around outside like puppies.

I can't house them with my layers because they will get picked on but they will free-range near each other.

They like to cuddle with us more than the layers.

These are the ways my silkies are different from my other chickens.

They don't roost up on a roost but I have 2 by 4 pieces in their pen that they sit on.

They cuddle together to sleep.

I trim their feathers around their eyes so they can see better. Be careful not to trim too close.

They are not as proficient free-ranging.

They tend to follow me around outside like puppies.

I can't house them with my layers because they will get picked on but they will free-range near each other.

They like to cuddle with us more than the layers.

Thanks!!! This helps alittle more!!!!​

I think you might of "taken" what he said the wrong way !!

Not that I can speak for PouletsDeCajun but I don't be live he was trying to be rude and tell you that you know nothing about chicks/chickens. He was answering your question!!

It's hard sometimes when your typing questions and answers on here, since they are not being said in words they can be taken the wrong way.

Also it's hard to answer a question when it's so general, There are MANY things to learn/know about any breed of chicken. But I will say that if anyone can tell you about silkies and give you needed info it's PouletsDeCajun. He did say if you needed anymore help you would have to ask the question and he would help.

As far as them being like any other chick.... Yes for the most part they are, with the exception that they are smaller !! And yes can be raised like any other chick.

Anyway....
welcome-byc.gif
I'm sure you will love the site and hope you have fun on here like the rest of us !! Good luck.

Ok, I would not like to communicate anymore about the confusion of the ealier thread conversation.
Sounds like you need to pick up a copy of Storeys Guide to Raising Chickens, or some other "how to" book. And/or start Googling "chicken care."

There is NO WAY that anyone can tell you everything you need to know in just a few responses. All of this should have been done BEFORE you got the chicks.

Don't know how you got anything negative out of his response. You asked a very general question, and he gave you a very general answer.

That discusion is over and it needs to remain that way. I have apologized to them and now we need to get over it.​

Miller, no need for you to apologize about anything! You did nothing more than ask a simple question. If you have any other questions about your new silkie, pm me and I will be happy to REPLY in a helpful, respectful, non-conceited manner.
hugs.gif

Miller, no need for you to apologize about anything! You did nothing more than ask a simple question. If you have any other questions about your new silkie, pm me and I will be happy to REPLY in a helpful, respectful, non-conceited manner.

Thanks I certainly will do!!! Thanks Suebee
caf.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Congratulations! I love my little Silkies. I always treated them just like any other chicken, as far as their care. I have a huge mixed pen of bantams and standard sized and the Silkies definately hold their own just fine.

I keep all my chickens penned up, but it's especially important with Silkies. They don't fly at all because of those hairy feathers, so they have no natural defenses against predators. I know someone else mentioned they don't see well with their feathered crests, either.

The other thing mentioned is their broodiness - oh my goodness! I have 3 broody Silkies right now and I'm about to lose my mind! I didn't realize just HOW broody they were. My first one was only 5 months old when she decided she wanted to hatch some eggs. I thought she was too young to go the distance, so I kept taking her eggs (she would raid the other nests and roll the eggs to her nest). I just thought she'd quit eventually. She sat on golf balls for all 3 weeks and I started to feel sorry for her. So I asked on here, if I give her eggs now, will she go another 3 weeks or she just going to give up since her eggs were "duds"? The general consensus was that after 3 weeks a broody will give up, NOT MINE. I gave her eggs and she stuck tight to that nest for another 3 weeks, they should be pipping very soon now. Since then, I had 2 more Silkie pullets go broody and I'm running out of space to put them!

welcome-byc.gif
I live just north of Lynchburg, so Farmville is about an hour from me. Glad you joined BYC - it's so much fun!

Back
Top Bottom