$5 a gallon of gas rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who got me started anyway
lol.png

December 26, 2010
The Finite World
By PAUL KRUGMAN
Oil is back above $90 a barrel. Copper and cotton have hit record highs. Wheat and corn prices are way up. Over all, world commodity prices have risen by a quarter in the past six months.
So what’s the meaning of this surge?
Is it speculation run amok? Is it the result of excessive money creation, a harbinger of runaway inflation just around the corner? No and no.
What the commodity markets are telling us is that we’re living in a finite world, in which the rapid growth of emerging economies is placing pressure on limited supplies of raw materials, pushing up their prices. And America is, for the most part, just a bystander in this story.
Some background: The last time the prices of oil and other commodities were this high, two and a half years ago, many commentators dismissed the price spike as an aberration driven by speculators. And they claimed vindication when commodity prices plunged in the second half of 2008.
But that price collapse coincided with a severe global recession, which led to a sharp fall in demand for raw materials. The big test would come when the world economy recovered. Would raw materials once again become expensive?
Well, it still feels like a recession in America. But thanks to growth in developing nations, world industrial production recently passed its previous peak — and, sure enough, commodity prices are surging again.
This doesn’t necessarily mean that speculation played no role in 2007-2008. Nor should we reject the notion that speculation is playing some role in current prices; for example, who is that mystery investor who has bought up much of the world’s copper supply? But the fact that world economic recovery has also brought a recovery in commodity prices strongly suggests that recent price fluctuations mainly reflect fundamental factors.
What about commodity prices as a harbinger of inflation? Many commentators on the right have been predicting for years that the Federal Reserve, by printing lots of money — it’s not actually doing that, but that’s the accusation — is setting us up for severe inflation. Stagflation is coming, declared Representative Paul Ryan in February 2009; Glenn Beck has been warning about imminent hyperinflation since 2008.
Yet inflation has remained low. What’s an inflation worrier to do?
One response has been a proliferation of conspiracy theories, of claims that the government is suppressing the truth about rising prices. But lately many on the right have seized on rising commodity prices as proof that they were right all along, as a sign of high overall inflation just around the corner.
You do have to wonder what these people were thinking two years ago, when raw material prices were plunging. If the commodity-price rise of the past six months heralds runaway inflation, why didn’t the 50 percent decline in the second half of 2008 herald runaway deflation?
Inconsistency aside, however, the big problem with those blaming the Fed for rising commodity prices is that they’re suffering from delusions of U.S. economic grandeur. For commodity prices are set globally, and what America does just isn’t that important a factor.
In particular, today, as in 2007-2008, the primary driving force behind rising commodity prices isn’t demand from the United States. It’s demand from China and other emerging economies. As more and more people in formerly poor nations are entering the global middle class, they’re beginning to drive cars and eat meat, placing growing pressure on world oil and food supplies.
And those supplies aren’t keeping pace. Conventional oil production has been flat for four years; in that sense, at least, peak oil has arrived. True, alternative sources, like oil from Canada’s tar sands, have continued to grow. But these alternative sources come at relatively high cost, both monetary and environmental.
Also, over the past year, extreme weather — especially severe heat and drought in some important agricultural regions — played an important role in driving up food prices. And, yes, there’s every reason to believe that climate change is making such weather episodes more common.
So what are the implications of the recent rise in commodity prices? It is, as I said, a sign that we’re living in a finite world, one in which resource constraints are becoming increasingly binding. This won’t bring an end to economic growth, let alone a descent into Mad Max-style collapse. It will require that we gradually change the way we live, adapting our economy and our lifestyles to the reality of more expensive resources.
But that’s for the future. Right now, rising commodity prices are basically the result of global recovery. They have no bearing, one way or another, on U.S. monetary policy. For this is a global story; at a fundamental level, it’s not about us.

This issue is SO much more complicated than people seem to realize. The issue of peak production is real as is the consequences of international relations that effect access.

There IS oil. But, much of it loses its value on the EROI scale - it takes more to get it out of the ground and refine it ( alot of it is sour crude) than you get out of it.

Americans have been spoiled with cheap oil for decades now and the time is coming to an end. It was subsidized by a wide variety of backdoor deals which no one can afford any more. The big boys of oil have not done any capital investment in their systems in at least a decade and the systems infrastructure is failing rapidly. Like lots else in our country, short term profit trumped long term investment and now the bill is coming due.

It is time to get off oil. Period. We have had the technology for decades. When the government wanted us to go in one direction it subsidized those avenues. (Who owned the airports??) It is doing some to subsidize alternative energy, but it is no where near what it has thrown at oil over the years.

Conserve.
Learn to do with less.
We will win either way.

If I remember from what I read in the National Post awhile back.........

Doesn't the USA export most of their crude oil to China?

Quote:
Yes we are, but no where close to the area that we can be. Open all of Alaska as well as the Gulf, our dependency on other nations has got to stop!

There are more concerns then just putting a drill in the ground. I work in oil and you can not just start putting holes in the ground! There is a lot of drilling right now in Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Colorado. What we need is more refineries.

I worked in oil too so I'll put in my 2 cents. This is just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

We are not going to be able to drill our way out of it. We use too much, we have limited rigs and infrastructure to support the drilling and production. It is more cost-effective to drill overseas and import oil than to drill here. I kinda like the idea of leaving our oil in the ground for my grandkids anyway. At least we can use up other people's and leave something of value to our grandkids. It will eventually get drilled.

It is a lot cheaper to drill and produce in many places overseas that in the US. Part of that is labor costs, part is taxes, part is political costs (pollution). And a lot of countries that produce oilk subsidize oil for their citizens.

Blackbart, don't get hung up on us exporting oil to other countries. It is cheaper to ship Alaskan oil to the far East where refineries have been built to handle that type of crude and for us to import oil from Mexico or even Nigeria to refineries built on the Gulf Coast for crudes with those specific properties. Oil is a worldwide commodity. If you start thinking only of national boundaries you are not seeing the true pictue. I have often seen the comment that we are not buying oil from a certain country so why is oil production there important to us? If France cannot buy oil from North Africa, for instance, then they will start competing with us for Mexican oil, driving our prices up. Think in a worldwide context.

Domestic refineries are a bottleneck. New ones are not being built. With so many of them being on the Gulf Coast and subject to hurricanes, it is really scary, not from a potential pollution aspect but from a possible disruption in supply. Refineries don't have that much of a profit margin in a lot of different economies so they are not great money-making investments. Besides, who wants a refinery built in their back yard. Right now, it is cheaper to run a pipeline to carry oil from Canada to the refineries on the Gulf Coast than it is to build a refinery in or near Canada. Besides, the refined products distribution system starts at the existing refineries. It's not just the cost of building a refinery. It is also the cost of the distribution system.

By Big Oil, I mean Saudi Arabia, Iran, Russia, Venezuela, Nigeria, Indonesa and such. Shell, Exon, BP, Chevron are not Big Oil. They are at best middlemen, not anywhere near in control of the marketplace. A lot of people get confused about that. Aren't a lot of these politically countries you really feel comfortable controlling your oil supply?

Big Oil will keep the price of oil as high as they can but will not allow it to get high enough to make alternate fuels cost efficient. Every now and then something happens where it gets too high for them and they realize their mistake. Some of these will let the price get out of control for political purposes but they quickly get put back in their place. They will not allow the price to stay high enough to make alternatives cost effective. That is a fact of life. If you cannot realistically face the facts, you cannot come up with a viable solution. If you cannot face the facts, you are just muddying the waters and preventing a real solution.

Alternative energy sources are not just more expensive right now. They are not always politically correct. Wind farms, for example, are very noisy. Many people object to the noise. They can be pretty ugly and some people don;t want their view to be of qa wind farm. Here in Northwest Arkansas, some studies were recently done to determine if wind power was feasible for here. In a few places, maybe but they will not be built here. They would threaten a certain species of bat with extinction. Cost is the main thing, but there are often other reasons alternative energy is not always viable. There is a cost for everything.

Our way of life depends on oil. Not just for transportation and heating, but for medicines, fertilizer, plastics, and many other things. An alternatie energy source is not going to solve all these problems. It is a complicated problem and will not be solved by simplistic solutions.

What do I think we can do to help? Conserve oil. This does not just mean drive less or get a fuel-efficient vehicle, although I think these are important. Buy local products where you can, not things shipped across country or from the other side of the world. Do you really need to drink bottled water imported from Iceland? Consider some lifestyle changes. Do you really need a new car every two years? Is it really that important to wear this week's fashions instead of last week's? If you can, produce what you can for yourself. Not everyone can raise a garden or raise chickens for their own diet, but if you can, do what you can. Consider energy efficiency when buying appliances. If you can afford it, support alternative energies, whether solar, wind or whatever. Even if it is a niche market where you have to pay a lot more for that alternative energy, you are funding research and maybe, just maybe, a breakthrough will come. Let your politicians know it is OK to fund research into alternative energy, even if it means higher taxes for you. I know that one hurt a bunch of people. My last one will probably hurt a bunch of people too. Don't be afraid of the Shells, Chevrons, and such. These companioes are spending a lot of moiney in research into alternative fuels. They have the expertise and infrastructure in energy. When the breakthrough comes, they want to either lead that or be in a position make money off of that breakthrough. They do not want to be the buggy whip manufacturers of this century. For those that think they are suppressing the breakthroughs, I refer you up to my comment on facing facts and not being part of the problem.

Anyway, that is my opinion. Last time I read the Constitution, I am still entitled to one.

Quote:
Not hung up. But it is all trade related.
Top 10 world producers Saudi Arabia, Russia, USA, Iran, Mexico, China, Canada, UAE, Venezuela, Norway
#1 Consumer USA ....#1 Importer USA
Conservation is the key.
We sold our big trucks and bought smaller gasoline efficient vehicles for every day use. Our Farm Truck is insured for hay season only.

I have friends who work for large oil companies and their job is too look for oil deposits in the North. They find the oil, figure out how much is there and then cap the well. Lots of capped wells. But extraction is seasonal and therefore expensive.

Article in today's newspaper.
http://www.timescolonist.com/business/Canadian+pipeline+fuels+anger+landowner/4036869/story.html

Where there is less demand the prices will go down - i downsized my vehicle majorly for less gas and well to help not needing so much in the world - but i do miss my Jeep!

Think about what you purchase. So much oil goes into things other than gas and diesel.....

Your chicken food now comes in plastic...petroleum
your bottled water from Figi...bottle=petroleum, petroleum burned to import it
mayo, pickles, jam, dish soap, peanut butter, cooking oil etc are all in plastic (petroleum) instead of glass. Glass is recycled into the same sort of glass, plastic can only be recycled into different plastic.
grocery store meats are packed in styrafoam and plastic wrap, not paper
clamshell packaging

The list is huge. Gas will go up to $5/gallon. It isn't there yet. Petroleum is a limited resource, and you have to pay for it. Turn you heat down, lower your consumption, and don't expect the government to make it all better. It won't, it can't and it shouldn't.

The greatest impact we can have is in our own homes. WE are the consumers driving the market. I can personally come up with approximately a dozen ways to cut my own personal usage of oil, foreign and domestic, THIS WEEK, in my own home...nothing even remotely to do with my car even!! How about using the ultimate renewable energy resource we have, our brains, and just write down several ways to cut back, and make some commitments to actually get off our lazy butts and DO IT.

Here's a few ideas to get started JUST for this week:

Don't buy anything in plastic or instead buy bulk(less packaging)
Don't buy anything not made in the U.S.A. (for those who live HERE)
Eat off REAL plates, not foam.
Buy local as much as possible.
Don't go out to eat, stay home and cook.
Make your own laundry/dish/bar soap this week.
Make a grocery list and go to the store ONE TIME.
Cut down the light usage with a dinner by candle light.

I'm sure everybody can think of several ways to cut usage. It won't help the fuel prices today, but baby steps toward less consumption is the key to weaning ourselves off it completely. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!!!!!!!!!!

Oil is our elephant. As long as you let it live in your home, it's gonna keep pooping. It's your fault. Suck it up, pull your big girl panties up, and get to eating. You can't easily whine with your mouth full
tongue.png

When gas was high last time, I bought a subcompact that gets 40 mpg for me. Seats 5 & has awesome cargo capacity (if not fully loaded with people). People around me continued to buy SUV's and less efficient vehicles, even when they only have 3 and 4 people in the family and have no real need to tow anything on a regular basis.

When gas went down & I was in the market for a house, I bought one with short commutes to everything important. I go 6 miles to work. Only once a month do I have to go further for one store and that's only 2 miles further. I could have bought closer, but I'm in a mostly walkable area and buying closer to work would have removed that (and tripled my purchase price). Others around me bought homes with 20+ mile commutes to work... I shook my head...

When gas went up, I trimmed my driving to the bone. I drive to work & on occasion for my "must do" shopping. I don't go drive around just because. I know the cost of driving somewhere. I've calculated this for years. How much $ does it cost me to drive to X. People think this is crazy, but when it suddenly costs them $10 to get to and from work they start listening more. (Meanwhile, even at $5 a gallon gas, it will cost me $1.66, roughly.)

I can't change the price of groceries on the shelves, but I also don't need most of what is there. You don't need most of the high priced prepackaged crap. That is always going to cost more & its prices are going to inflate even more than less processed foods.

Shop the periphery of the store (produce & dairy) & the baking goods aisle, with a quick trip down the dry goods (rice/beans/oatmeal/pasta) & the canned & frozen fruits/veggies. Skip all other rows & you'll save a lot of cash. Your purchases will probably be a bit less petroleum dependent, too.

Better still, grow a garden. Even better, grow hybrid varieties and save your seeds. Compost to improve your soil instead of using shipped in chemicals and fertilizers.

I can't avoid heating my house, but I can turn the heater way down & use a small space heater during the day in the rooms we use the most & an electric blanket at night...bundle up instead of thinking the whole house needs to be 70+ degrees. Turn it down to 65...

Start exploring other options. You don't need hot water for most tasks. Use it for dish washing & for a quick submarine style shower. Use it to wash a load of whites once a week, if you feel the need to wash your skivvies & socks on hot. Everything else can be done with cold water...no need to spend on petroleum products to heat that.

You can't control oil prices, but you can change how much you use.

Yeah... we just need to use less as there are too many humans on the earth. Humans have this way of expanding their populations without massive die offs like most other species on the earth.

Green energy is really not that green... wind fields, solar patterns and wave energy generators all remove energy from their respective systems and change the weather patterns and local environmental patterns. And using corn uses more energy than you get out of it. Need to look further into using tumble weeds and "crops" that are not a food source.

We just need to use less overall. I'm in no delusion that everyone can and should raise their own food, as there is just not enough fertile space to do that yet in the world, but my apartment dwelling friends probably don't need to buy pre packaged foods that cost 5 bucks, are on a plastic plate, covered by a plastic top, inside of a cardboard box. Their weeks worth of fake food could be a fraction of the cost and packaging.

But I'm not going to worry too much, I'm going to put another $50 of gas in my 2 door coupe and take a joy ride while I still can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom