5 Black Chickens

TeamHolt

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Coastal North Carolina
I wanted 3 black australorp hens. I told the chicken hatchery man, and he looked at them and gave me 5 black and yellow chicks (2 extra because they were straight run). Surely, he knew which were which... I'm a city girl, I admittedly know nothing about chickens and this is all new to me... He's the expert, right?

As they're getting bigger, 1 of them doesn't look like the others. So I dash to the internet and make my own conclusions. Which are not what I expected at all. But that makes it more fun in the long run anyway, I suppose.

As to not ruin the fun... here they all are. I'll post my city girl guess at the end.

All 5 of them:

The one in the middle is the "different" one.

Head shots; the "different" one is in the background:

Without posting pictures of all 5, my guess is: 4 are actually BARRED ROCK (1 being a rooster), and the "different" one is the Black Australorp. Unless the "different" one is a different bird all together. I'm assuming that the hatchery man would get ONE right... but maybe not.

Thanks in advance!

You mystery chick is a Black Australorp. The few white feathers will soon go away. Another possibility would be Jersey Giant, but your chick has pink foot pads so that rules the JG out (they have yellow pads).

If she was shown that would be a Disqualification. Any white feathers on a black chicken. I doubt it would be a Java, just because they are so rare.

Last edited:
Yes, Peeka is correct, the white should fall out:Sorry not the best quality but this is my Jersey Giant at a couple days. The white baby fuzz fell out, and left a beautiful black.

Back
Top Bottom