5 day old sick baby goose.

insmokesimage

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
Anyone's help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have a baby goose that hatched out on Monday, June 24th. This little guy has had trouble from the beginning. I helped it hatched out (just a little since I know the consequences). He did finish himself. He stayed in the incubator for about 12 hour after to make sure he was dry. I put him in the nursery with all the other chicks that hatched out a week before but they picked on him so I removed all the chicks except for one so he could have a buddy. So, for the last few days he has not eat, shakes his head a lot, does not chirp but looks like he is grasping for air (mouth comes open with every breath). He also has clear, white and dark green poops and his bottom has been getting messy and I have been cleaning his bottom too. I have dipped his beak in the water to show where it is. Since I have not seen him drink on his own I have given him drops from a dropper. That is the only way he has drank water that I know of. I did get some probiotics and electrolytes for him today. Is there hope for this little guy? What do you think?

My first question is does he have water deep enough to wash his bill? Ducks need to dip their whole bill into water to clean their nares. Also what are you giving the gosling for feed? Are you adding any niacin to it's water?

Looking at the last pic you posted, it almost looks like there is some kind of discharge from the nostrils? Maybe something dried?

Last edited:
I am feeding the DuMor chick starter/grower 20%. All of my other ducklings and goslings have done quite well with it. As for niacin I have not added any of that. I have a regular chick waterer but like I said I have not seen it drink from it. As for the nostrils, they are clear. It maybe just glare from how the picture was taken. Something else that I forgot to add to the original post was that I hear a clicking noise. I heard it before it hatched and still now. Hmmm.

Thank you for your replies!

the clicking noise in the egg is normal, outside it may be the inside of the nares are dry or not fully developed. I have used a chick waterer as well but I always bring in a small container of water a few times a day so they can dip their full bill and wash their nares. This is important. I would continue to dip his/her beak into the water until it gets the idea and does it on it's own. If you have Vicks in the house you could try rubbing a tiny bit down the middle of the beak. Not in the nares but in the middle. These are about all I can think of right now.

I will say this about the Dumor feed. I will not use it any longer. I did last year and had so many problems with my waterfowl it's just not worth it. I have started using Blue Seal and am very pleased with the results and it cost about the same and sometimes cheaper than the Dumor. In the end, I found that the cost of using that feed was more expensive because of all of the health issues due to problems that brought about recalls of this feed. Just something to think about. You can get away with a lot with chickens, they don't show a lot of health problems the way ducks and geese will if there is something wrong with the feed.

Where would you find Blue Seal? I have used Nature Wise in the past but have found that it is too fine and almost powder like the last few times that I have bought it. What about the Purina? I do know not to feed the medicated.

Where would you find Blue Seal? I have used Nature Wise in the past but have found that it is too fine and almost powder like the last few times that I have bought it. What about the Purina? I do know not to feed the medicated.
Purina is one I've used in the past and will grab if I have to either do a switch or am out and it's too late to hit my regular feed store. I'm sorry you can't get it there. I don't feed the medicated either but from a lot of what I've read about this, it's not an issue any more. I guess the older coccidiostats were a problem with waterfowl. Given a choice though, I just don't give it to them. Their body temps run hot enough that the cocci doesn't usually have much of a chance in them anyways and the B vitamins are a real necessity with ducks and geese so I don't want any of them blocked. The feed we get is already low in the nutrients these birds need as it is.

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate your info!
thumbsup.gif

My little baby is now drinking water on his own. I still have not seen it eat any food. Still looks likes he is gasping for air and the clicking noise is not as loud. He is starting to get his chirp which is more like a "coo". I am still fighting for this little dude as he seems strong hearted.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom