5 days… no egg

TinaRew

Chirping
Aug 4, 2022
Glenmoore, PA
My 10 month old hen started laying about 3 weeks ago. Over the past month she’s been on and off been cared for with a comb injury (she laid her first egg during this time), then bullying, then sour crop! At first she was laying regularly but once she got sour crop she laid 1x and that was it… that was about 5 days ago. She has since been better from the sour crop, no longer bullied and back with the others, but still not laying.

At what point do you worry about being egg bound? Or do you just let it go and not worry? The others her age lay regularly.

My 10 month old hen started laying about 3 weeks ago. Over the past month she’s been on and off been cared for with a comb injury (she laid her first egg during this time), then bullying, then sour crop! At first she was laying regularly but once she got sour crop she laid 1x and that was it… that was about 5 days ago. She has since been better from the sour crop, no longer bullied and back with the others, but still not laying. She’s not exhibiting any strange behaviors either.

At what point do you worry about being egg bound? Or do you just let it go and not worry? The others her age lay regularly.

My guess is her health issues and the bullying stressed her enough to stop her laying.

Egg binding thankfully isn't all that common, it's rarely the reason behind a hen not laying. If she was eggbound she'd be dead already. And you would likely know there was something very wrong from her stance and behavior before she passed.

Back
Top Bottom