5 drakes to 7 ducks-help!

I have two khaki drakes to 4 hens. It all works, the guys get along fine, they have their girls and leave the others alone. I used to have 3-5, but that was too much. Maybe you can get away with 3-7, just pick the less aggressive ones ;)

I have two drakes to three hens and I have had to keep either the boys from the girls or the one pair from the other three. If I don't, they rape the other drakes girls very roughly. Mine were sweet and personable when they were young. Now, at one year and nine months old they are idiots. Be warned, hormones turn them into monsters!

X3 I have 5 females to 1 drake and it is just enough so far. I cannot even imagine how rough it would be for my girls if there were less.
That is just way too many drakes. I feel for you... tell them mature drakes can be merciless....mine tried to kill my grown goose and it was not pretty. :(
How awful! I'm glad your goose is alright now though. I will have to do my best to cut back the number of drakes. I posted an ad this evening to try and find two of them homes so hopefully we can find a good match here before my family changes their mind.

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone :)

A quick update:

They wound up losing one of the drakes to a raccoon (sadly as he was my favorite) but one of the ones we thought was male finally found her quack after months of silence! They bought a few extra females from Metzer's and currently have a flock of 2 drakes and 8 girls now. Thankfully, everything worked out in the end :)

Back
Top Bottom