5 gallon office water cooler style for chickens?

Quote:
All mine have lids that unscrew, and can be filled from the top.

I use a hose, and don't have to lift them at all

They come in several sizes

http://homeschool-nasco.com/prod/images/products/CB/AC101775l.jpg

Yes, I bought one of those AFTER I bought the turn-upside-down-to-fill fount. I like those a lot and may even get a couple more of them. But the "fill and turn it over" kind is just AWFUL. I should have noticed the feed store only had two of them but had at least 10 of the other kind - obviously more of the RIGHT ones need to be kept in stock than the ones newbie idjits think are so nifty. Doh!

newbie idjits. LOL. Unfortunately the store here only has the flip over kind so if I want a better one I have to order it. I may get one of those but I'm toying with the idea of the little cup waterers. When I had chickens before I had the metal kind and that was a complete pain to take the top off and put on by myself, never mind carrying the thing. One little speck of dirt in between the walls and it's hard to get it on right.

I made a waterer out of a 50 gallon blue plastic barrel. It was really simple to make despite all my men friends telling me how hard it was or making it sound hard.
roll.png

It has worked out great and I want to make two more. I don't have to worry about them running out of water when I'm at work or if I go away for a few days. Makes like easier.
The stand could be better but there is only one of me and I get tired LOL I might work on a better one when I get some free time.

26477_chicken_waterer.jpg

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
Really? Just stick some pennies in my waterers?

~ Aspen

I don't know how much truth is behind the Pennie trick but you would have to use a Pennie that is pre-1982, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating.

Note pennies that are dated 1982 can be either copper or zinc.

Chris​

I've been using the copper pennies trick in the water, and no algae, not even on very hot days. And I only change the water every 3-4 days. Your mileage may vary...

Why not simply add 1 TBSP of ACV per gallon of water? Keeps algae away and is reportedly good for the chickens innards.

Some time back I got tired of cleaning and filling waterers and went to the 5 gallon bucket outside the coop piped in with nipple waterers. I only need to clean the inside of the bucket and refill with water (with ACV) every month or so. If you went with say, a 30 gallon plastic barrel you could water many, many chickens without that daily cleaning business.

86572_water_system_and_jake.jpg

86572_water_system_1.jpg

I made a waterer out of a 50 gallon blue plastic barrel. It was really simple to make despite all my men friends telling me how hard it was or making it sound hard.
roll.png

It has worked out great and I want to make two more. I don't have to worry about them running out of water when I'm at work or if I go away for a few days. Makes like easier.
The stand could be better but there is only one of me and I get tired LOL I might work on a better one when I get some free time.

26477_chicken_waterer.jpg
Very cool!

Hi,
i'm catching up on this site, saw your watering solution - have a question:
How does the water get into the bowl? Do you have to turn on the faucet or is there some automatic trigger that the chicken pokes?
Thanks,
Arlie

Back
Top Bottom