5 male Muscovies in need of good home - Florida

chickychick7

Songster
8 Years
May 5, 2015
These guys need a good loving home. One is father, the other 4 are his all-male offspring. They are 'whoops' ducks that came from missed eggs at a rescue sanctuary.
Very quiet, great mosquito control !! Can fly so must be in a full enclosure.
The father, is kept separate because he has been aggressive with the others, but maybe in a new space he'd be ok ? Can be separated if you don't have room for five. St. Pete beach area.
They are used to a big space and pool, have not been handled alot, but are good natured/used to human interaction.
Thank you !

Attachments

• 20231220_145411.jpg
    20231220_145411.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231220_145441.jpg
    20231220_145441.jpg
    744.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231220_145447.jpg
    20231220_145447.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231220_145501.jpg
    20231220_145501.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231220_145714.jpg
    20231220_145714.jpg
    852.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231220_145804.jpg
    20231220_145804.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 5
@ruthhope know of anyone in this area wanting Muscovy?
Oh no!!!! These muscovy are from feral parents and they can fly. They either need their wings clipped or keeping in a covered run like the original poster suggested. I find private lakes/land for releasing ducklings from feral parents, but I don't think that be acceptable to the original poster who is writing on behalf of a sanctuary. Plus, the boys are "accustomed' to interacting with humans. The feral muscovy I rehome have not been domesticated/become accustomed to humans and are not all male. That was a very unfortunate ratio for an "oops" clutch.

I'm about to try and rescue two feral muscovy that have angel wing. My flock are in a secure coop at night [with Wilson the Pekin in a dog crate within the coop] but free range during the day. The angel wing makes these muscovy at risk of predation in the wild.

I was just hoping you might know someone who would be willing to take them and keep them as pets since they were used to human interaction.

Last edited:
I hope they all find a good home! I'm such a huge fan of muscovies. Seriously underrated - I'd recommend them to any duck lover. The boys are big teddy bears IME (with people). Not to say they aren't occasionally badly behaved (what duck isn't? :p ), but they're so calm and sweet!

I love my girls but I'd have more boys if it weren't for fighting and bullying. I think if they grow up together it can help reduce that behavior - I used to have 2 boys that were like soul mates. Now I have a male duckling indoors with my 10 year old male and I'm hoping that they continue to get along when the duckling is a few months older. And then two in an aviary that are going on 10 years and 11.5 years old.

I also have male free rangers but they have a lot more space so they can get away from each other easily! Space is really the key there.

I hope they all find a good home! I'm such a huge fan of muscovies. Seriously underrated - I'd recommend them to any duck lover. The boys are big teddy bears IME (with people). Not to say they aren't occasionally badly behaved (what duck isn't? :p ), but they're so calm and sweet!

I love my girls but I'd have more boys if it weren't for fighting and bullying. I think if they grow up together it can help reduce that behavior - I used to have 2 boys that were like soul mates. Now I have a male duckling indoors with my 10 year old male and I'm hoping that they continue to get along when the duckling is a few months older. And then two in an aviary that are going on 10 years and 11.5 years old.

I also have male free rangers but they have a lot more space so they can get away from each other easily! Space is really the key there.
Yes space is the key!! Or segregation by dividing the duck coup into individual sections at night! My flock is all drake. They actually spend most of the day together -- where one goes the others follow -- but they have their power plays, often in the coop at night.

Yes space is the key!! Or segregation by dividing the duck coup into individual sections at night! My flock is all drake. They actually spend most of the day together -- where one goes the others follow -- but they have their power plays, often in the coop at night.

Yeah the fights can happen randomly after they've been getting along so well! I'm not able to fully segregrate in the aviary so I use visual blockers which helps a lot. E.g. I have their doghouse and kiddie pool in almost the middle rather than a corner of the aviary. That way they aren't always in view of each other if they don't want to be and they can go behind stuff if they need to get away.

When I had 4 Muscovy drakes I separated them so they would be with their females. I found that their legs would wear out from chasing each other all over the half acre if I didn't separate. My very first Muscovy drake lost almost all ability to walk at age 10 He lived till one month shy of 12 but I would carry him from the coop in the morning to his and his girl's area and carry him back at night. Inside their coop, the boys all had their own stalls with covers made of wood and hardware cloth becasue we all know Muscovy climb really well. Now I have only one drake and he will be 13 in June and his legs are wearing out,He is on Coseqiun. I love this breed. What's funny is I have 3 Runner drakes and my Muscovy drake never pays them a bit of attention but my old gander and him would fight all the time if I didn't keep them separated and he would also fight any Muscovy drake I had. Go figure

Back
Top Bottom