5 month old hens not laying

BjAngel

Songster
8 Years
May 27, 2015
Hello from Kentucky everyone I have some hens from Tractor Supply bought the first of April and no eggs. I already started them on dumor layer feed I know i was suppose to wait for the first egg before starting layer lol. I have no clue what kind they are i will add a pic. Is it to soon for eggs only feed layer feed i have oyster shells and grit ready just not opened yet

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That's too young for many breeds, it will be another month or so.
Grit aids digestion not laying to you can put it out for them. Most people feed chick starter or all flick with oyster shell on the side instead of layer feed. Dumor isn't the greatest quaility.

Grit aids digestion not laying to you can put it out for them. Most people feed chick starter or all flick with oyster shell on the side instead of layer feed. Dumor isn't the greatest quaility.
x2, they should've already been given grit by this point, if there isn't any suitable stones in their set up for them to ingest.

By switching to layer early you may have slowed down growth and development a little bit, as most layer feed has about 16% protein compared to somewhere between 17-20% in chick starter or all flock.

Back
Top Bottom