5 week old bantam roos, not having luck finding homes, what to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lceh, May 13, 2009.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    My bantam chickies are now starting to show their true identities as boys and girls, and since we live in the city the boys need to find a home. I've listed them on Craigslist, posted them on our local homeschooling site, and put them on the BYC buy/sell/trade forum, but so far not even a nibble even though we're giving them away. I guess it may be because they're to small to eat [​IMG]! What do you all do with your banty roos? These guys are very socialized with kids and are nice breeds (MF D'uccle, EEs, white Wyandottes, buff Brahmas), so I can't believe SOMEone wouldn't like one, but as a chicken newbie I guess I underestimated the value of a bantam rooster (which seems to be pretty much zero, poor guys). If anyone's got an idea I'd love to hear it!

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Do you have a local farmers market or flea market where you could take them to give them away?? Or any livestock sales? I know I have had the same problem, not with bantams, but with large breed roos. Right now I have four I have to find homes for. Mine will go to the livestock sale or our local flea market. Best of luck!

3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I take mine to a local poultry auction, don't know if you have one near you?

4. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if this might help, but there is also Kijiji, which is your local ebay, just like craigslist, and yes you can sell live animals on it.
    Good Luck, we have three and need to get rid of two, haven't tried yet, but know that it might get tricky..
    Kycklingmamma

5. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Raise em up, put em in the pot when they start getting noisy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by