5 week old Buff Orpingtons sexing help!

1stTimeChikMama

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
Interlochen, MI
They are now 5 weeks old. I do want to explain that I can't really go off of their combs as some were dubbed before I got them and others were not. SO I can't really compare combs to each other. Which is a bit more than frustrating! But any opinions on these "girls" would be wonderful! Thank you everyone!!!

My baby and sooo my favorite, BO #1 (I will die if she is a he! lol):

BO #2 (by FAR my largest bird):

BO #3:

BO #4:

I'm just wondering how can you tell? The only difference to my (untrained) eye is that the comb on the first one looks different. I have two mixed breed 12 day old chicks right now (hatched from eggs by mama) and I'm trying to learn all I can about sexing so that we can tell if our two are boys or girls when they start showing signs.
Thanks

Thank you both. But I was wondering how you could tell as well. I'd love to learn! I was not going by the comb as they all have pink in the area and that one is the only non dubbed chick. So of course the only one with a comb. I was actually worried about #3 because of the tail set and what I thought were saddle feathers!

Shoot :/

Lots of practice.
lol.png
Comb and stance are the biggest indicators. Leg thickness as well, but this is trickier on Orps.

Saddle feathers don't come in until around 13 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom