5 Week Old Chick Sour Crop?

Some chicks are greedy and will pack their crops full, others are happy just topping off periodically. Withholding food from a young chick can lead to other problems. They really should be able to eat as much as they want when they want. If you can, follow casportpony's advice and have a vet do a fecal check. Other than that it sounds like a pretty normal chick.

Last night I left her with water and when I woke up today to check her the crop it was a still a little full. Not sure if this was from the water or the food from last night not going down.
IF she is in the dark all night (not being under a lamp?) then she does not need water when sleeping. The only way to check crop function is to let them sleep a full night, then check first thing in the morning before they eat/drink.

No matter what as soon as she starts to eat the crop starts to get huge.
Looks like she is pooping o.k.
One may be a little watery as mentioned by @casportpony so it's always a good idea to get a fecal float.

If you are limiting her food intake, then she is going to gorge herself. Make food/water available free choice during waking hours and see what happens.

Thank you everyone for your help. I will continue to monitor her. I really have not seen much in mood change. She chippers your ears off when you enter the room want out right away and will try to fly back to her flock and make a run for it.

I think she just likes to eat everything in the place since she is the biggest out of her flock. Just the throwing up really caught our attention and i wanted to be as pro active as possible since its very serious.

Not sure what vet to take her poop to to check for the coccidiosis. I will need to call around

Update..
we had to leave for the holiday so I placed the chick back with the others and wished for the best.
The person watching the chicks told us she was eating like always and very active.

Today I wanted to watch her and inspect what she was up to.
I noticed her gasping for air stretching her neck and once in a while scratching her neck. She still looks great and active however I only got to watch her for a few hours today.
I did some reading and think she may have worms?

I checked all 7 of the chicks and she was the only one with any signs of worms in her throat?

Here are a few pics
IMG_4593.PNG
IMG_4592.PNG
IMG_4591.PNG
IMG_4582.JPG

Chickens will occasionally stretch out their neck towards the sky and yawn. It's normal, and they are adjusting their crops and the content of them. I might just let it be, especially if it's active.

After writing my last post 2 hours ago I have not seen the chick yawn or stretch its neck like before. She is really driving me crazy. Her crop seams to be back to normal as well i did not notice her getting a lemon size one today when she was eating. Way better then before i left she would get huge in less then 10min

Does her mouth look normal?

I don't see anything to worry about. In my experiences a sick chicken will act sick. So as long as they are running about and eating I don't worry. Once they start going down hill it can be hard to stop or fix them anyways. Enjoy them while they are with you. Feed and house them correctly, and that's about all you can do.

Stretching the neck could be just adjusting the crop.

I don't see anything in the photo but what looks like food inside the beak.
Corn (red circle) and what looks like chick crumble (red arrow). I would make sure she and the others have poultry grit (crushed granite) available free choice. Food and water needs to also be available free choice during waking hours.

upload_2018-9-4_22-38-50.png

Back
Top Bottom