5 week old chick with bald spots

dianabauman

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Hello. This is my first experience raising chickens. I will be an urban chicken farmer and am very excited to have fresh eggs right in my backyard!!

I currently have 2 Buff Orpingtons and 1 Golden Wyandotte. I also have 2 more baby Wyandottes on the way that will give me a total of 5 hens.

My Buff Orpingtons are now 5 weeks old and when they stretch their necks, I can see bald areas. Is this normal development. Are there feathers still growing in?? One is a little worse than the other, however, I feel that today it's starting to look better. I'm probably just over thinking it since I want to make sure my babies don't fall ill.

Attached is a picture that gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thank you so much!!

Diana Bauman
Des Moines, Iowa

IMG_6795.jpg

They are still very young. Give them a few more weeks before you worry. Tthey need more time to grow in. Make sure your temp in the brroder is not to high. Lower temp will promote feather growth. By now it sholod be room temp about 70 degrees.

Aw, thanks!! I'm really enjoying my girls. My 3 year old and I had fun yesterday digging up worms and feeding them to the girls. They really seemed to enjoy that!

RHewitt - You're right. I will give them another few weeks and see how they're feathers do! Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom