5 week old French Copper Marans - Roo or pullet?

I agree. The first one is screaming cockerel, but not the other 2. Even so, still a bit early.
(#1 reasons: posture, uneven feathering)
I have to disagree. I personally have had several pullets with uneven feathering. Posture for me, has never been a good indicator on sex as well. Chicks will stand up tall when looking for their friends as well. Uneven feathering is not a good indicator, because it could be affected by quite a few factors. Such as poor quality food, breed, and living conditions. Without enough protein, chicks can feather in a lot slower and have the "patchy" look. Within separate breeds, some feather in generally slower than others and can have a "patchy" look as well. I know that meat birds often have uneven feathering because of the way they were bred as well. Lavender orphingtons also tend to have a "shredded" look to them. I am not saying that the OP has poor quality feed or anything. Its just that if feather quality could be altered by several factors that have nothing to do with gender, it does not seem to be realiable to me.

Back
Top Bottom