5 week old lethargic buff Orpington

Nope everyone has good poops and the rest of the chickens are doing great. They do free range in the grass and get greenish poop from it but that’s all. I think it’s definitely a respiratory issue I’m just not sure which one or how to treat it. I can’t seem to find any vets for chickens around here and I’m worried the one in the box might just get worse from being alone in a box.

Symptoms of a respiratory infection:

Respiratory Disease in Chickens
  1. Sneezing.
  2. Open mouthed breathing.
  3. Wheezy/gurgling breathing sounds.
  4. Ruffled feathers.
  5. Discharge around the nostrils and eyes.
  6. Head shaking.
@dawg53

5 week old
Will just stand for long periods of time breathing heavily and droopy eyed. Is very poofy, I thought that was just her breed but maybe she’s holding her wings out a bit?
I thought maybe it was heat stroke from the heat lamp I have on at night but I haven’t seen her drink water.
Didnt notice it at first because she’s so poofy
makes a clicking sound I am 99% sure she is making herself with her beak
The symptoms I’m relating to that are being fluffed out and poofy, standing still while breathing heavily, not eating or drinking much I’m worried she’ll soon stop. Lethargic.
It’s not overly warm for her...I put her and her small flock the same age in their hen house at 4 weeks and put the heat lamp on at night. Considered the heat lamp is maybe too warm it hits about 80 degrees f directly under the lamp. It’s about 70 in my bedroom. But again she isn’t drinking water
forgot to say yes her droppings are fine.
Can you please post some clear photos of her poop and of her?

What are you feeding?
Is her crop empty in the morning before she eats/drinks?

At 5 weeks, lethargic, not eating/drinking and poofy....I would start treating for Coccidiosis.
You can find Corid at feed stores like Tractor Supply.

Liquid Corid dose is 2 tsp per gallon of water or Corid Powder dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days. Don't add anything else to the water but Corid.

If you need to, syringe the mixed Corid solution into her.

At 5 weeks, I would keep her relatively warm at around 70-75F.

She’s Eating Purina flock raiser crumbles unmedicated.
324D7649-2060-4602-871B-628414CAF955.jpeg
D25A769B-3346-4916-8A01-E104627CA1FE.jpeg

Gosh darn will have to wait till morning everything is closed. Thank you all for the advice. Does her poop not look good? I thought it looked normal but what do I know. Should I be buying medicated feed as well? Should I treat the rest of the flock? Can I put her back with her friends? She’s lonely. I’ll do a better job at keeping the food and water clean.

I tend to think it's respiratory. Treating for cocci won't hurt and yes you treat everyone. Don't feed medicated feed while treating with corid.

I think it's best to keep her separated for now, just in case it's a uri.

Can you give her SaveAChick, NutraDrench or other electrolytes? Get her drinking water. You say she is poofy. Is she just puffed up, or does she have any air under her skin anywhere around her neck, chest, or sides? Is she still mkaing a clicking sound? I have only seen a leaking air sac (air under the skin from a bump) once, and my chick made a clicking sound with each breath.

Back
Top Bottom