5 week still pooping bright red blood after 2 days of Corid

Yes I keep grit in the yard. Thank you for that comment about him looking more normal now. When I posted that I was thinking maybe he didn't look so well when I got him. The lady I got him from had him on corid as a preventative and had him on really high protein food.

I snuck out this morning early and his poop is still marbled. No active blood. Just marbled with orange still.

Can you give "save a chick" probiotic powder with the corid or should I wait until after?

Can you give "save a chick" probiotic powder with the corid or should I wait until after?
Some probitotic powder mixes also vitamins added in, it may be best to do that after Corid treatment is complete.

Glad he is showing signs of improvement! :yesss:

How high was the "high protein" feed the other place was feeding? I go up to 30% sometimes for my chicks. Higher protein can *sometimes* be a benefit.

So cool that you educated yourself enough to know that meeting the chicks needs was important, and it can benefit molters as well. Since I always have both in my flock... I NEVER switch to layer, but use 20% protein flock raiser with OS on the side for active layers.

It's been interesting lately to see just HOW bad Coccidia (overload) can effect flocks... when it's something I rarely consider a threat... it really IS! :hmm

I will mention... since I have seen it... some birds who suffered bad cases of coccidiosis have also suffered some necrotic intestinal tissue that *could* cause a nutrient deficit down the line sometime. Since he was still actively eating and drinking, hopefully that won't be the case. But you will have this on your radar for any future condition he faces.

I noticed a week or so before the coccidia started with the bright red blood that he had orange in one stool only every night. I don't know if him being on corid as a preventative before I got him irritated his colon or not. I'm hoping to help him heal and purchased immuno charge (same company as Avia charge). I use garlic as a natural antibiotic now but I feel I need something a bit stronger after stopping the corid to boost them.

The protein she had him on was 22%. I thought maybe the switch in feed irritated him and set him up for coccidia to take over so I picked some up this past Saturday but it's for this bright green mold looking stuff on some of the little pellets so it's going back. I plan to just stick with what I've got for now. No more switching.

The protein she had him on was 22%. I thought maybe the switch in feed irritated him and set him up for coccidia to take over
Sometimes just a move is stressful enough to cause things. Also your place may have a different strain of coccidia creating an overload when suddenly exposed full time if not introduced slowly.

Corid does NOT irritate the colon or intestines... it simply acts like thiamine so that the coccidia will be eating essentially air... or NOT as much actual thiamine, so they starve out.

Personally... I would NOT put chicks on that low of protein (18%) as in the one you said you were currently using. Especially not a large and heavy feathered breed like Faverolle. I would NOT go lower than 20% before growing is complete... they will still have several mini molts on the way to maturity and feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids.

Some feeds do add in green items that can be mistaken for mold. But worse than that a certain amount is actually considered acceptable, and they may mix it down with more feed to spread it around. I'm fairly certain this is why Purina quit making pellets in their flock raiser and now only offer crumbles... it's harder to see the funk! :hmm

Please note... energy comes from 3 sources as far as I know... fat, carbs (including fiber), and protein.. therefore... I choose my feed slightly higher in protein as I consider it a more nutritious source of energy than fat or carbs. :confused:

Your poos looked a bit different than what I have seen personally which is usually very watery thin blood. Your's seem to have substance to them still. I know no 2 animals are the same with the same immune systems though.

His feathers are fairly frayed looking around the edges... to ME either a sign of over crowding or parasites, have you checked him near his vent? At night with a flash light gives the best picture in my experience... part feathers on abdomen and look for things running away. Daylight hides things well, oddly enough. It's possible my expectations are high... as many times people say they don't see what I'm talking about! But look at them where he is standing in front of the waterer as well as the one that shows his chest...

When one thing like coccidia have caused weakness other things like parasites will take advantage or vice versa.

Please know that antibiotics are not all positive and the body even in a chicken makes it's own! I would NOT give antibiotic anything on a regular basis as it kills good stuff as well as bad... and balance is key. For that reason I will support with probiotics instead, IF I feel the need.

I notice you mention a specific type of garlic... does it have an effect if it's not the same type? Thank you for sharing. :pop

Yikes I had no idea this starter was 18%. I thought it was 19. I agree it's a bit low. I do supplement with mealworms from rainbow mealworms so hopefully that will boost it more. I am with you on the protein. Why is every feed so corn heavy?!?! It's literally the first ingredient.

As for his stools they have thickened up a lot. At the time when he had pure blood squirting out his regular stools were definitely watery and loose. I have been watching my older hen for some time bc of her gizzard issues so I've been stalking her poop and caught his early. I do think that helped but unfortunately I started him day one on the corid I had here and it was old and had gone bad. When I realized it was soured I got a new bottle but by then he was delayed by a full day.

When I got him I asked if he had parasites she said she was 90% sure he did not bc he lived with three other chicks inside her house. As in they were free range house chickens. It was so funny. I went in and all these chicks were running free. I did check him over and saw nothing but I did start feeling like things were crawling on me on the drive home while holding him so I treated him with seven dust that I have had good luck with. I feel no more itching. Never saw any northern foul mites or anything. This felt smaller. Totally invisible to the naked eye.

As for the garlic I use kyolic garlic. That's what I use just for myself. I am afraid of antibiotics in chickens. I used to use baytril when I had chickens years ago and it took out a few of my hens by destroying their liver. I'm super careful with how much I dose them with the garlic. Too much I believe is not good. I only use it when they need it and not all the time. Same with myself.

so I treated him with seven dust
That should probably have taken care of it if there was anything and the feathers won't just repair but the new ones will look great as he does his mini molts.

I didn't KNOW Corid to go bad... I haven't been able to find mine in a while! Good information.

I have ordered from rainbow, the mealies were great. Just don't be too generous since they're high in fat and that definitely impacts the liver as well. :)

I didn't know either but I kept smelling soured milk and tracked it to the Corid. I bought the new and it had the classic chemical smell I remembered.

Thank you for that info on the mealworms! I had no idea they were high in fat. I only give them 3-4 each maybe twice a week. I've been waiting around for them to become beetles. My older hen has low calcium during laying time and has to take calciboost, so crickets and beetles work great for her. I hope they aren't too high in fat too.

Funny thing just happened. I think I know what the parasites were on my chick. I mentioned about the feed having some pieces of mold. I went to pick them out to put in a bag (to show the store clerk since I had planned to return for a refund) and had a hard time finding them. I had gathered some in a cup and left it in the bag and they were dessimated by what I guess are weevils. They looked like ants but with different bodies. It was really powdery in the bag and I started to itch. Like I felt things crawling on me. It was the exact same feeling I had before when I brought him home. That is the same brand feed she used on him. Thankfully I never did use it. I sacked it up and am throwing it away. It's not worth $15 to have my house infested and my vehicle infested in order to return it. What could it be?! Is there such a thing as a feed mite? Or an invisible weevil mite? Their usual feed bag was sitting right beside it. They've been side by side for two days. Now I'm scared I'm going to infest everything and their feed is very expensive at 28 a bag. I am just sick over this.

Back
Top Bottom