5 weeks to early to go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdopler, Jul 10, 2010.

1. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    My first batch of chicks woke me early this morning with the pitter patter of little feet on carpet just outside my bedroom door...[​IMG] Guess i forgot to close the door to the patio last night! So now that they are all capable of flying into and out of their brooder box is it time to go outside? I live in eastern Colorado and weather seems warm but not hot. Evenings are cool but not below 70. The girls are all feathered out but I want to be sure before putting them out.

2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    As long as they are completely featherd out, they should be fine. 5 weeks is old enough. [​IMG]

3. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    Mine went out (for good) to their coop and run at 5 weeks, but we live in Arizona and it was already 105 when they got evicted from the house. [​IMG]

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I agree with barred- rocks-rock. This is a great time of year to put them out a little early. The weather is perfect.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    yup [​IMG]

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    The problem usually isn't when to let them out--after all Momma would take them out as soon as they were all hatched--the problem lies in getting them back in. Inasmuch as "out" for mine is outside, I wait until they begin roosting before allowing them to leave the brooder area, this means I don't have to chase them back in at night.

7. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I put mine out young. If they were with their Mama they would start to be out and about at just a few days old. I'd make sure that they are in a secure pen...safe from predators and other adult chickens. I'd also keep a close eye on them if the temp goes down below 75 or so....especially at night. In nature they cuddle with their Mama's for a LONG time! I put a 100watt bulb in their nesting area at night and just turned it on at nights when they needed it. Congrats on getting those stinky little buggers outside! I'm all about an "outside brooder".

8. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I evicted my 4 BR chicks from their brooder in my room mainly because they're heat lamp's clamp broke. But they were well feathered out. They're almost 12 weeks old now.

9. farmer geek

farmer geek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Whenever they are feathered out they are ready to go outside.

10. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    thanks to all of you.. I just feel like I am kicking out babies into the world. Glad that its a good age tho. They are all roosting on top edges of the box except when sleeping so the floor has to be lined to keep droppings under control too! [​IMG] but the coop is gonna be awesome.. its an ark style 14 ft long and 11ft wide. tons of room for the little girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by