55 flowery hen 'recipe'?

Chickens don't work like that.
If they fit the breed standard then they're that breed no matter whether they're 1/4 or 31/32 or whatever.
They're wouldn't be a variety of the sussex to fit your bird though.

Chickens don't work like that.
If they fit the breed standard then they're that breed no matter whether they're 1/4 or 31/32 or whatever.
They're wouldn't be a variety of the sussex to fit your bird though.
I meant, to try to get a new color recognized...
I believe it only has to breed true 50% of the time.
IMO that would hardly make it a breed or variety. I believe the 50% is because of varieties like Blue that won't breed true 100%.
Well, according to the calculator, I can get them to breed true 100% at only 3/4 Sussex. I could always cross back if the body shape doesn't fit the sussex type.

The color/pattern in your case is pretty simple and straight forward.
I don't see you having any issues there. You're just wanting to add barring to a pattern that already exists.
That's easy peasy.
Its the type that you will have to get set. That means every other feature about the bird.
As for actually getting it approved by the APA as a new variety of sussex sorry to say I don't see that ever happening.
They will not be falling all over themselves to add it.
Here's a link. Click on the "guidelines link.
http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/Breed Variety Info.htm
It isn't an easy or quick process. It takes others to be involved and years and years.
Just work on it for yourself and if it works and is popular others may then get involved and then you can see where you want to take it.

Just work on it for yourself and if it works and is popular others may then get involved and then you can see where you want to take it.
I would agree with that, Brussbars were never accepted even if they were just autosexing Sussex, perhaps they should of just have called them Crele Sussex when they were created and have them accepted?

Hi,
wait a minute. Sussex are a breed whose virtues between meat and egg production are *very* carefully balanced. That *last* thing a Sussex is, is color. In fact the silhouette and structure of the Sussex ( both sexes) is so critical to their major breed hallmarks that literally, if it doesn't look like a Sussex, it is *not* a Sussex.
Not to burst your bubble, but just because a bird has Sussex in it, doesn't make it as Sussex. here's what a true Sussex should look like:
This is Katherine Plumers' drawing of the ideal Sussex for the 2010 APA Standard of Perfection.
http://katherineplumer.com/closeups/poultry/SOP/LLightSussex.html
The Sussex is a breed of graceful curves which meet each other for form a symmetric whole. The breed is a study in grace and symmetry. No one part so glaring that it distracts the eye from the beauty of the whole. The breed is close feathered, meaning that the feathers are not ruffled the wrong way by every puff of breeze.
Unlike the Orpington, the definition of the thigh is evident in spite of the pantaloons. The skin on the face and wattles s fine, being indicative of the fine skin on the rest of the bird. The scales on the legs are fine also indicative of fine skin on the rest of the bird. The neck has a proper, but not too pronounced, curve to it which helps balance the birds carcass. The tail is there but not too high stationed as that can be indicative of a shorter back. The almost level back and breadth and depth of body are the meat hallmarks of the breed. The keel should be well laid so the breast can carry abundant meat. A shallow chested bird is not a Sussex.
Why do we care if the skin is fine textured or not? Because when the bird comes into lay, the reproductive organs swell. The skin must be able to stretch to accommodate this. Fine skin will stretch but coarse skin has a tendency to lay up a layer of fat underneath it. This fat does not stretch and thus the room for the reproductive organs is less and the bird lays less eggs.
The comb and wattles are medium size as that size has less tendency to collect water and freeze in the cold months.
The wings are carried parallel to the ground as this is a sign of strong pectoral muscles.
wait for it a sec while I look up the link:
The post below is on Page 110, posts 1094 and 1097 ( click on the blue box of text in 1097 to see Dragonladys' responses.).
The lady annotating my post in 1097 is Dragonlady. She bred fancy fowl for over 50 years and her Wonderful Buff Orpingtons were known nationwide for their quality. It was so nice of her to share her experience. Her text is in green.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/csu-chicken-state-university-large-fowl-sop.732985/page-110
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Your passion for the Sussex has you all wound up over this thread huh?
The OP was just looking to create the 55 pattern on a different type bird then a leghorn type. The speckled sussex came up then their idea morphed to hopes of creating a new variety of sussex.
All that about the importance of a sussex looking like a sussex and how important that is isn't anything unique to the sussex. Its the same for any breed.
By the end of this thread the OP was hoping to produce the pattern then set the type. Its not their intention to make a half @ssed sussex that has a cool new pattern then run around passing it off as a sussex when it was clearly not even close.
They just thought it would be cool to make a new variety and have it bred to the standard and then accepted as a new variety.
There's nothing wrong with that dream.

Not to burst your bubble, but just because a bird has Sussex in it, doesn't make it as Sussex.
I am not an SOP type of guy but I would say that the result of a well planed breeding strategy that ends up with birds that are at least 7/8 Sussex would be very much a Sussex in Type and form, of course if the starting stock was very good to begin with

The OP was just looking to create the 55 pattern on a different type bird then a leghorn type. The speckled sussex came up then their idea morphed to hopes of creating a new variety of sussex. There's nothing wrong with that dream.
I very much agree with The Moonshiner here, we can all dream about beautiful birds hatched by our own resolution to succeed.

Back
Top Bottom