55 flowery hen 'recipe'?

I'm a little unsure of what you're trying to say in that wall of text? I can tell you are very fond of Sussex. I think they are an amazing bird as well.
I initially just wanted to create a new 55 autosex dual purpose hybrid/breed with a gentle personality and better at egg laying than the Bielefelder, but when I realized that the bird would be initially 75% Sussex (and more could be added with each generation), I figured why not go for Sussex SOP in everything but color....
It wouldn't be my intention to pass it off as a pure Sussex, although one could argue that a bird that is over 90% of the breed and fits the SOP perfectly in body shape might be considered one of that particular breed. Which is why I was asking about how to get it recognized as a new color type for the breed, and how much percentage of a breed it takes to be considered pure.

55 flowery hens are gorgeous, but I really don't like the leghorn personality, or the fact that they are unlikely to set. So I would like to recreate the sex-linked color with other breeds.
I found some info on other threads about their genetics:

and:

What other breeds have these traits? I'm hoping to create a Speckled Sussex based sex-linked flowery-type breed. A Flowery Sussex, if you will.
Also, am I correct in assuming that the color is simply the same autosex coloration as a legbar + the mottling gene?
My end goal is a low-maintenance dual purpose that is a good forager and good setter, with a calm and friendly disposition.
There are silver and gold 55 Flowery Hens, that is the general assumption anyway, they could technically be carrying some other gold diluters not that that would matter that much. Silver(S) would not aid in creating an auto-sexing breed. Anyway, they carry (B^s)-Mutated Barring, homozygous (B^s) barred roosters are significantly lighter than roosters that are homozygous for the standard(B) barring. The 55 flowery is homozygous for the mottling(mo) allele. I've looked into the California Gray,(they also have (B^s) Barring), and breeds that have the standard barring(B) and mottling(mo),The Basque Hen for example, and I am certain there are other allele(s) at play that result in such an extreme sexual dichroism exhibited by the 55 Flowery Hen.

There are at least three allelic mutations found on the sex linked barring allele.

b+ = Wildtype found on red junglefowl
B = Sex linked Barring also known as B1
B^Sd = Sex liked Dilution. Also known as B2
B^Esd = Sex Linked Extreme Dilution. Also known as B0

Interesting, so without Dominant white being present?
Correct.
1671146009556.png

Back
Top Bottom