5th chick dying in my hands right now - help!

Two more dead chicks today - a Black Isbar and a Black Breda
sad.png
They were about 3 weeks old and have been standing hunched over struggling to breathe for about a week. I figured it was probably just a matter of time - but held out hope they'd get through it. No such luck. I think we are up to 18 dead now but I've lost track
hit.gif
hugs.gif

Thank you for the suggestion, I will check on that. The Fentanyl was the only thing that worked, but once he left the ER the hospital he was taken to said that they are not allowed to use it on the floor
hmm.png
It is the only thing that helped.
That's odd, I wonder why they said that? Heck, they sent me home with fentanyl, lots of it!

-Kathy

Last edited:
Our thoughts are with you and your family with everything you all are having to deal with :hugs .
On top of everything else, not again, I know they are chickens, but sorry about the chicks, fingers crossed it is just coccidia and they will be fine with Corid.

Last edited:
A full necropsy should have had cultures and sensitivities done on all 8, did the vet not do those? I could see inconclusive findings without, but but not if you had cultures done.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I believe I would need a prescription for those and no vets here will see chickens. I called all of them in a 100 mile radius that I could find. The other vet is actually the pathologist and I am not sure he would prescribe without proof of what it was - which so far is illusive. But yes, he did a culture and still said it was inconclusive. And by then the samples were old and I ran out of money ($55 per bird for another culture, plus overnight shipping, plus the necropsy fees). At this point I am down to thinking I might as well just aim my money at solutions - even a broken watch is right twice a day right? Eventually something is going to work - or nothing is. But at this point I can't see spending more money for "inconclusive results". If they couldn't figure it out with 8 birds in front of them - what difference will 10 or even 20 make? (In case it sounds like I have a snarky tone - please know I don't - I am getting frustrated but not at anyone here.) I appreciate all the help. I had to put down my Collonca this morning. He gave up eating
sad.png
The Denagard arrived today and I will try it in the morning. I have read that if it is going to help you should see significant results within 48 hours. So here is hoping. Meanwhile I have also ordered Oxine and a cool air humidifier to use in the coop . We are due to have temps back up in the high 50s and 60s over the next week so I should be safe to use it as soon as it arrives. I think even if the Denagard does the trick I will use it anyway just to play it safe. I will also use it to thoroughly sanitize the coop (with the chickens locked out of course).

Fingers crossed the dying is nearly over.
fl.gif
And, chemo starts on Thursday for hubby so I need some good news.

Nope, *anyone* that lives in the US can get fluconazole and/or ketoconazole *without* a prescription. No need to call a vet for it, just buy it if you want to have it, that's what I did.

Fluconazole link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUATIC-FLU...697?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd04dd1e9

Ketoconazole link:
http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/inde...ketoconazole-fish-fungus-fish-antibiotic.html

Hope your hubby gets better.

-Kathy

So sorry at all the loses. Please keep us updated and we'll all keep you in our prayers for your poor flock and especially your Hubby. Not a great way to start a new year... Keep the chin up and we'll root for you with the Man upstairs!!!

hugs.gif
Susie Q

Back
Top Bottom