5wk old Muscovy needs wing amputation

Oh gosh, I am so sorry! I really can't offer much advise on amputation, I have never taken it this far. But it does sound like you are treating her medical wise well. Keep her warm. Injured birds go into shock easily. Shock causes the birds system to shut down, they get cold and die. Aspirin is good for pain and inflammation however it does thin the blood and she could bleed more, so be careful there. She will no doubt need antibiotics too.

Make sure she is well hydrated and eating, even if she is turning her bill up on poultry food. Feed her what ever she will eat.

Hopefully someone else chimes in here with more info on getting your bird healed!

@casportpony
@Wyorp Rock
Great reminder about aspirin being a blood thinner, it didn't even occur to me at the time. Thank you!

Sorry I have not treated an amputated wing, but since this happened four days ago, it probably does not matter at this point. When it happened I would have cleaned it with betadine, and applied plain Neosporin or Triple antibiotic twice a day. There is obvious bruising which is the green skin, and normal. I would have tried to get some antibiotic from the vet or take it in. Procaine penicillin G is available at most feed stores if it seems infected at this time. Give 1/4 ml daily 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep into the breast muscle alt. sides daily, for 4-5 days, but it may not be necessary this far along. Sorry about your duck.
On my gosh thank you so much!! It was the green skin that made me believe infection, it doesn't stink and isn't oozing and I always felt green wasn't a very healthy color so assumed infection. This makes me feel so much better. Thank you for the advice, I'll add it to my med journal to remember in the awful event this happens again.

This is the perfect thread for you to read.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/graphic-pics-wing-amputation-advise.1246736/

I highly recommend looking into ordering some Medihoney.
The exact product is linked in the above thread.
Oooh thank you! I have heard of it but was never sure about brands. I'll check out the thread.

Wish I had some words of wisdom, but I’m along for moral support.
Moral support is just as important as experience ❤️

Back
Top Bottom