6.5 week old Golden Laced Wyandotte chicks

Westholme Farmstead

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2023
NS, Canada
I hatched out four Golden Laced Wyandotte chicks. One cockerel made himself obvious at 4 weeks of age and has since found himself a great new home. The remaining three I assumed were female but in the last few days to a week I've started having doubts about their pullet status. None of them look anywhere near as much like cockerel as their brother I've already rehomed did 2 weeks ago. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

This is Dorothy. I've had my eye on this one for a little longer because of their thick legs but almost overnight this one went from having a completely flat flesh colored comb to what we have here. I'm feeling like it's a cockerel.

DSC_6324-01.jpeg

DSC_6317-01.jpeg

Up next we have Marigold.This one has dainty legs but the comb makes me wonder. Another cockerel?

DSC_6337-01.jpeg

DSC_6418-01.jpeg

The last remaining one is Chippy. I just realized that I don't have a full picture of her. This one is exceptionally dainty and I feel it's probably a pullet. It's also much more plainly feathered than the other two are.

DSC_6412-01.jpeg

What do you think?

I just wanted to follow up (because I hate finding an old post where someone didn't) and share another picture of Dorothy. "She" has continued to redden in the face and has joined the known cockerels in their pecking order games. Definitely feel like I need to choose a new name for this one 😉

The other two look much the same as the pictures I've already shared. I'll update when their genders have been determined.
20230627_141626-02.jpeg

I just wanted to follow up (because I hate finding an old post where someone didn't) and share another picture of Dorothy. "She" has continued to redden in the face and has joined the known cockerels in their pecking order games. Definitely feel like I need to choose a new name for this one 😉

The other two look much the same as the pictures I've already shared. I'll update when their genders have been determined. View attachment 3558863
Do you have a closeup of Dorothy’s saddle feathers?

Back
Top Bottom