6-7 week old Easter Egger chicks- pretty sure i may have mostly cockerels 🤦😅🤷

I agree with this. You didn't circle the black one in the last pic, but I think that's the same one as in the first pic?
There are two black EE chicks but that may be the same one in both of those pictures. I was dealing with a predator attack today so taking photos was the last thing on my mind but I will try to take some individual photos tomorrow.

At this age it is mostly the comb that gives it away. Females will not get large, red combs until just before they start to lay. Depends on comb type as well. Most of your birds have single combs, which are the easiest to sex normally. I agree with @HappyClucker7 that the holding the birds upside down thing is a myth. If you try it you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right!😉
Well that's good about the combs! It is quite obvious when the comb is so big......

🤣 50/50!
Do you think about 5 or 6 days old is too late to feather sex chicks? And is that even accurate?

Well that's good about the combs! It is quite obvious when the comb is so big......

🤣 50/50!
Do you think about 5 or 6 days old is too late to feather sex chicks? And is that even accurate?
Feather sexing has to be done within 1-3 days and only works with very specific cross breeds between a slow feathering and fast feathering breed. So, no, in this case. 😊

Feather sexing has to be done within 1-3 days and only works with very specific cross breeds between a slow feathering and fast feathering breed. So, no, in this case. 😊
I figured! I just hatched out 13 chicks and I guess it will be another waiting game. 🤷 hopefully I get better luck with getting pullets this time 😝

I apologize in advance that these pictures are poor quality. 😝 I tried to take pictures of each chick and it was harder than expected to do by myself. I will create time to do that later. For the purposes of sexing, I'm looking only at my easter eggers (I've also got some buff orps, brahmas and cuckoo marans which were sexed as pullets). When I wing sexed my EE as chicks, I thought 3 were pullets. Now that they're getting older, I'm thinking only 1 or 2 might be out of 7 total! 🤦😂 I do not know the technical breeding names of the colors but I have 2 black, 2 red, one partridge (black and gold), and 2 that are a mix of blonde/grey/brown (one of those I believe with confidence to be a hen and the other has more white and blonde in it). I came into the coop to see if they had roosted up thinking that would make for an easy photo of each but they aren't yet. I at least scared them into a pile for easier comb viewing! 😂

Can anyone tell what sex they are? I thought the grey/salmon one and also the gold/black one were pullets but now I'm thinking that both of the grey/blonde/red are pullets .... Maybe only the salmon/grey one?

Let me know if I picked out a bunch of roosters. 😂😅
The chick in picture #15 is the only one that looks like an Easter egger. The one in the first picture appears to be the only pullet. Actually, a few of the other chicks could be legbar mixes (which would be a different type of EE, but still an EE).

The chick in picture #15 is the only one that looks like an Easter egger. The one in the first picture appears to be the only pullet. Actually, a few of the other chicks could be legbar mixes (which would be a different type of EE, but still an EE).
Yes, I hoped #15 was a hen for that reason. I got them all from the same feed store who uses Ideal hatchery but he/she's the only one with muffs and a pea comb. I called the hatchery to ask about their breeding and why it was labeled Ameraucana at the feed store and they said they were actually easter eggers since they're not breeding for egg color. I've since wondered many times as I've watched my cockerels grow "What ARE they breeding for?" Because these guys are clearly a mish mosh of very different breeds. I'm becoming more convinced every day that she's (#15) actually a he. In which case, I will probably have to keep 2 roosters since we have grown attached to him/her and one other (the blonde/white/grey/red one). *Sigh* I'm fine with eating the roosters but will be very disappointed if I only end up with 1 blue egg layer out of this bunch. 😑

Yes, I hoped #15 was a hen for that reason. I got them all from the same feed store who uses Ideal hatchery but he/she's the only one with muffs and a pea comb. I called the hatchery to ask about their breeding and why it was labeled Ameraucana at the feed store and they said they were actually easter eggers since they're not breeding for egg color. I've since wondered many times as I've watched my cockerels grow "What ARE they breeding for?" Because these guys are clearly a mish mosh of very different breeds. I'm becoming more convinced every day that she's (#15) actually a he. In which case, I will probably have to keep 2 roosters since we have grown attached to him/her and one other (the blonde/white/grey/red one). *Sigh* I'm fine with eating the roosters but will be very disappointed if I only end up with 1 blue egg layer out of this bunch. 😑
It looks like one of the cockerels is an australorp and another is an RIR. I can’t tell if the other red one is crested, which would mean he’s probably a legbar mix. I’m not sure of the breed of the pullet and the multicolored barred cockerel yet.

Back
Top Bottom