6 chick rule

soccerguy17

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
washington
hello i live in washington and the feed stores around me have a rule that you have to buy at least 6 chicks i asked the manager about it and she said they were just told to do so by the city im wondering what the point of this is???

I had a Southern States employee tell me that it was susposed to discourage the "Ohhh, I'm gonna get a cute pet chick for the kids" thing.
jumpy.gif

Yup! I'll bet that's what it is! Funny... I bought 6 not even knowing. (I live in WA)

Does that mean I'll have to buy 6 more next year when I want to expand my flock?! I won't have room for 12 of them. Ruh-roh.
hmm.png

I'm in Seattle and the stores around here don't have that rule, but my friend in Tacoma has encountered it. Seattle ordinances only allow 3 chickens per lot, though, so maybe that's why they don't around here (I don't know of any feed stores in the Seattle limits, though - I'm talking about the one in Bothell and the one in Burien). Where are you? Close enough to drive to the Seattle area?

Our local Rural King insist you have to buy minimum of 25 chicks. They post a sign and say it's "state law" Not worth arguing with them, they only carry run of the mill chicks anyway-I stay away during chick days. Their lack of chick knowledge...is a whole other thread!

im in puyallup and i got to downtown puyallup to buy my chicks but im not sure how many chickens im allowed to have right know i have 9 hens and 1 roo where do you check the citys chickens ordinences?

Quote:
I would like to know this, too. I live in Graham, but I have no idea what the actual law is. Our neighborhood "covenant" from when it was started in 1978 says no livestock, but the covenants have never been enforced & there is no neighborhood association. Everyone pretty much does what they want and leaves each other alone. If my neighbors ever complained, we could have a long talk about the rv parked on their lawn & the remodeling debris, old refrigerator & sofa piled in their backyard from years ago! :mad:

Sorry to hijack!!! Sounds like some feed stores are making up "laws" to keep people from getting one or two chicks for their kids just 'cause they're cute (or to get rid of their inventory-- or both!). Honestly, how many people would really question them? 25! That's absurd! You're only allowed 3 in Seattle, so how can they say 25?! Whatevvah!
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom