6 Miniature Appleyard eggs - advice welcome

I agree, the first one is a “quitter” (sounds a little less morbid, and hopefully doesn’t make you feel as bad). It happens, so don’t feel like it’s your fault.
The other two look good, but I also agree with sniffing the eggs every so often. Your nose will tell you if something bad is going on.

Also, just to double-check... day 1 doesn’t start until 24 hours after they start incubating. Many make the mistake by starting to count at 1, as soon as they are set, so just in case, I thought I’d mention it.

I also have a Brinsea mini ex, gotta love that little incubator! I use it a lot for late hatchers, or as an ICU unit, if any hatch that need a little extra care, or alone time, etc.

Turning 3-5 times a day is fine, but every couple hours is fine too. When I’m not on Corid-home-confinement, I only turn 3 times a day - before work, after work, and before bed. But now that I’ve been home, I’ve been turning maybe 4-5 times a day.

Good luck with your little endeavor!

Hi we are now on day 26 (or 25 if you do not count the first 24hour of incubation?)

The two eggs seem to be doing OK however there is a slight yellow tinge to the eggs when candled.
On one there is a clear line which can be seen and doesn't seem to move.

On the other I think it may have already internally piped? We can clearly make out the bill of the duck. I have uploaded to videos to show what we see in each egg.

First the one which is (I think piped?);

Second one which has the yellow line, both have clear movement still.

I have "locked" these down now and will not be turning them again - only touching them to candle.

Any thoughts on that yellow line?

Checked late last night and it was not like that, unfortunately I didn't check this morning and had to work late. anywhere from 1-19 hours

Ok, if you don't get and external pip soon come back and let's talk safety hole.

So, how soon would soon be? (awkward question I know)

BUT this is what the next 24 hours look like for me.

1-10 - home (sleeping but I can set an alarm!)
11-21 - work
21+ home :)

As you can see this may be awkward for me to do it, if when I need to do so falls between work hours :)

I would do it before bed as I wouldn't be able to sleep. But that's a personal.preference not necessarily correct. I am probably in over my head here. @WVduckchick I don't know much about mini appleyards hatching. I was assuming they might have hatching problems like calls. The key piece of information we don't know is now long it's been internally pipped.

You could go ahead and put a small safety hole tonight, It won't hurt anything if done correctly, It just ensures they don't run out of air and suffocate. Get a small sharp screw or a brad point drill bit, position the screw directly above the air cell, and slowly start twisting back and forth until the tip enters the egg, do not widen the hole any further just the tip should go in.

You could go ahead and put a small safety hole tonight, It won't hurt anything if done correctly, It just ensures they don't run out of air and suffocate. Get a small sharp screw or a brad point drill bit, position the screw directly above the air cell, and slowly start twisting back and forth until the tip enters the egg, do not widen the hole any further just the tip should go in.
Thanks Issac. I should have thought to shout out to you.

Thank you so much guys,

I have just checked on it and it seems to be really going for it, the egg is wobbling in the incubator I assume this would mean that s/he has plenty of energy left and not in any immediate danger? I am going to wait another hour and then either go to sleep with an alarm set for 2 hours time and check again or make a hole now.

I have been doing some reading, but just to double check - a small hole in the centre of the air sack/wide end?
I shall go grab an egg from the cupboard to practise on ;)

@Isaac 0 any idea on the second clip regarding that yellow line? (just checked again and no internal pip yet)

Back
Top Bottom