6 month old bantam chicken keeps losing balance! Help!

UrbanBarnCat

Chirping
Jul 27, 2017
So, today I noticed my only bantam chicken have issue standing and walking. She was walking and running fine in the coop but I was noticing she kept falling back on her butt!
She seems fine, no weight loss, not lethargic, is eating grubblies but avoiding water.
Kind of unsure what to do since it seems like she doesn’t have the symptoms for Mareks disease? Also checked her all over an not seeing any injuries on her legs or feet and this is my first time checking for a stuck egg but her vent and underside seem fine. I’m not feeling anything weird?
Going to get her vitamins and electrolytes as soon as the feed store opens tomorrow but wondering if anyone has any advice in the situation?

Attachments

• 2C3CDCDF-7028-4EAA-B2F8-3C553B1B88E5.jpeg
    2C3CDCDF-7028-4EAA-B2F8-3C553B1B88E5.jpeg
    648.6 KB · Views: 30
  • C3149F85-1707-4BF3-8D05-7897800A5117.jpeg
    C3149F85-1707-4BF3-8D05-7897800A5117.jpeg
    734.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 5D8B578F-517A-40F5-9E03-FE657715041B.jpeg
    5D8B578F-517A-40F5-9E03-FE657715041B.jpeg
    785.8 KB · Views: 12
How long has she been avoiding water? I'm wondering if she is dehydrated???
Maybe dip her beak in some sugar water to see if she will drink that.

I have not experienced this with any of my chickens so I'm probably not much help.

Maybe do a search on balance or falling backward to see if anyone has had this before just in case no one gets back to you tonight.

I'd try treating her for a vitamin deficiency, it could take days, weeks or perhaps a month before any progress will show. Sometimes if you're lucky, they'll pop right back up as if noting happened, it just depends on how much the body absorbs the loss vitamins and how fast it can repair the areas affected. If for some reason, if she has no progress, it could be Marek's Disease.

How long has she been avoiding water? I'm wondering if she is dehydrated???
Maybe dip her beak in some sugar water to see if she will drink that.

I have not experienced this with any of my chickens so I'm probably not much help.

Maybe do a search on balance or falling backward to see if anyone has had this before just in case no one gets back to you tonight.

not long! I refilled the water bowl earlier today and she was drinking out of it! Going to get her vitamins and electrolytes and treat everyone for cocci tomorrow. I’ve looked up a few different things and it’s just hard to tell bc my chicken has no other symptoms aside the from walking issue. She is still trying to get up and move and perch but loses balance so I’m really this is just a weird vitamin deficiency issue:barnie

Back
Top Bottom