6 month old Broody???

Qi Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
Buff Orp Hens are acting strange. They were in the nest boxes at 8 am when I went to let them outside and STILL in them at 2 in the afternoon. The other hens were getting mighty annoyed.

They both went out to free-range in the afternoon but when I went back in around 6 one buff orp was in there again. Other was not. If you mess with her she hisses and puffs up to 3x her normal size. When I went to put them to bed she was still in there so I took her out. First I put her on the roost and she acted like she was going to fall off ALL fluffed up. I finally put her on the floor to see if she would move around and she just SAT there. Wouldn't move. Puffed up like crazy. It was like petting a super fluffy long haired cat.

After about 5 minutes she went and ate some crumbles. Still puffy but recognizable as a chicken and not a pillow with a head. She did go up to the roost but I don't know if she stayed there.

Is this classic broody behavior? Isn't she too young? 25 WEEKS only. Why did she just sit on the floor and not move? Could she have something else wrong that makes her do this?

She seems puffed up mad and not puffed up sick if you know what I mean.

One of my RIR/EE pullets started laying (hidden nest, the stinker!) and went broody 21 eggs later at 24 weeks old. The BO's tend to be pretty broody so it's certainly possible. I'd give her a good going over just to make sure nothing else is going on, but probably she's broody.

I have a Easter hatched hen sitting eggs right now also. 5 to 6 mo old. she started laying and sat soon after, she got run off her first choice which was poor, and stuck days later on a wall mounted box commonly used by free rangers. She is a RIR rooster and white jap phoneix and is jap sized and looking and red. This same cross produced small RIR looking roosters. The hen mother has started her fourth clutch this season. If you want chics let her sit if not you can break her if you have not all ready.

Yes, BO's go broody early quite often.

My Gold Brahma hen has just reached her first birthday and has already hatched 3 lots of chicks. She has probably only laid 30 eggs in the year.

sandie

Our first broody hen is sitting on her first clutch now. She is a Cuckoo Marans and went broody at about 24 weeks, and her hatch date should be tomorrow. Exciting times at our house! If you want some chicks you could let her have just a few eggs to see how she does, and if she stays with it or not.

Yup, sounds like you have a broody! My 7 month old pure Ameraucana just hatched out 8 babies last week. I have to say the broody experience is amazing. Seeing the chicks with a momma hen is too adorable.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom