6 month old rooster losing strength?..ability in his legs.

Valionz34

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2017
Good day to all,
I am 6 months new to this chicken venture, but we are experienced and schooled in many other animals. We run an exotic animal rescue in Northern Vermont.
I have talked to friends and family, their answers are all the same. Put him down and get another. Well, we like this rooster. We want to fix him. So I have a 6 month old rooster. Yesterday it became apparent that he is having difficulty with his legs. He trips, stumbles, when he runs.. If he runs, he has to use his wings for balance. When he stands they shake. He sits as much as he can. Other than this my flock of 6 (5 hens.. Same age, different breeds) every one else is healthy. So, I was told possibly a vitamin deficiency? I just added vitamins to their water (as we speak.) any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 15030911764881605807016.jpg
    15030911764881605807016.jpg
    895.1 KB · Views: 10
If you are feeding a good quality diet you should not need to supplement. I'd recommend a vet exam or the very least a fecal exam. The symptoms you describe can be caused by anemia, viral/bacterial infection. Since you operate a rescue I'm sure you know a few good vets.

I do, but surprisingly none that check chickens. In my neck of the woods, they are pretty disposable. We like ours though. He looks just like a golden eagle. We may have to take a trip to find a vet. People around here laughed when I asked for a chicken vet.

Read up on Marek's disease and see if it sounds familiar, as far as him symptoms go.

Look his legs over for any swelling around joints, sores on the bottom of the foot pads, or any redness or bruising. Vitamins are a good idea with leg broblems, and one with minerals can help as well. Rooster Booster has Poultry Cell liquid, and you can give up to 3 ml per day, and another is Poultry Booster that can be added to feed with a few drops of oil to help it stick to food. B Complex tablets crushed on food is another good way to give B vitamins. If he gets worse or a leg seems paralyzed, I would look at Mareks disease links to see if that might be a problem.

No swelling, redness, or signs of marek's. But I know there are many types. It's looking more grim for us minute, by minute. We really appreciate all the input.

"Difficulty with his legs"
IS a sign of Marek's disease.

And don't be embarrassed to look for veterinary care for your chicken. I remember when cats were once considered disposable. It's owners who insist on care of 'exotic' pets that keeps veterinary medicine on the move.

Back
Top Bottom