6 months old and still no eggs???

hlroudeb

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Just about the time I was expecting eggs, it got very cold fast here in Indiana. Is the cold effecting my egg laying.....??? I have yet to see an egg from either chicken.........

It's not the cold that affects egg production so much as it is the decrease in daylight hours during the winter.
You don't mention what breed(s) of chickens you have. If you have an early maturing breed, then it might be considered unusual. Late maturing breeds like the brahma, nothing at all to worry about.
So what breeds? Also helps to include a description of their coop enviroment, what you feed them, do they free-range?

Sorry! I have 2 Buff Orpington hens.

They free range during the day, and sleep in a sweet wooden playhouse transformed chicken coop.

They are free from drafts but have vent. I use a heated dog bowl for their water.

Some days I don't let them out.... as today it was 20 and windy. I keep them locked up about 2-3 days a week if it's cold like today.

They are eating normal (?) dry pellets for adults. With calcium mixed in. Today I used an all natural supplement in their water for the first time.

They are very happy and healthy! Just no eggs!

Heather - Indiana

My buff just had it's first egg at 6 months! What I noticed was a distinct change in color and size of the comb over a course of about 4 days and then "Ta Da". We just had our first egg the day after Thanksgiving and we get them every other day since then. Be patient just a little longer...
big_smile.png

My guess is that it's a combination of the less daylight hours and the hens still needing time to mature.
I know it's hard not to be impatient about those magical first eggs, but if they are acting normally and are healthy, there's really nothing to do but wait. If it makes you feel any better, I still have two girls that will be 8 months old in a few days and still no eggs from them.
You can add additional light, but it's not without drawbacks
Here's hoping your girls will surprise you very soon!
fl.gif

I've got 3 6 1/2 month old standards (RIR, BSL & BR), and a 7 1/2 month old banty cochin. The BSL started laying last week and the BR just started "The Squat". Her wattles aren't very red, so it could be another week or another 2 months. I'm still pretty sure the RIR will start laying before the BR.

The BSL doesn't seem to know that she's not supposed to be laying that much during the winter. She has laid 7 eggs in the past 8 days. They're machines, I tell ya!

As for the banty cochin, she's just walking yard art. I have no idea if she'll ever produce a darn thing.

Moral of the story: hang in there! They *will* lay eventually. Until then, you've just got a bunch of moochers and there's nothing you can do but enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom