6 or 7 week old chick can't stand or walk and has green droppings.

TwiggysChickys

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2017
Idaho
So I'm totally new to having chickens of my own. So far all my chicks are doing really well except for my 6 or 7 week old White Leghorn. I noticed about a week ago that she was not moving around the pen like the others, even when they stepped on her she would not move away from them. She was still eating fine and drinking her water like normal. I carefully took her out to see if she would get up and walk but she just sat there and peeped at me. She is a layed back chick so I cant really tell if she is lethargic or not. I put her in a pen by herself so the other chicks would not get ill if she was. She still eats and drink as much as ever but about 3 days ago her poop started coming out green. I move her around the pen from time to time because she just sits in her poo. She has no problem with being picked up and seems to actually like it. I don't know what to do! Is it bad genetics? Injury? Illness? HELP!!

Welcome to BYC. Can your pullet move both her legs and toes? What does she do if you sit her upright? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Green poop means that she is not eating enough. At her age coccidiosis can be one of the most common problems, and the weakness from cocci can cause lameness from dehydration. I would consider treating her for coccidiosis with Corid. Other signs of cocci are lethargy, runny poops with mucus, and sometimes blood, puffed up or hunched posture, and a poor appetite. Until you decide how to handle this, I would treat her with electrolytes and vitamins in her water, and give her some chopped egg and watery feed.

Thank you so much for all this info. When I stand her up, she wabbles then lays down like she cant hold her weight. She did try and stand on her own when I when to feed her but she laid back down after about 10 seconds. Her legs seem very limp, especially her left leg. She does not seem to be able to move her toes on her left leg very much. Her poop is not particularly runny, it looks like my healthy chicks but a moss green. I did not know you could even get them vaccinated... I will try and give her the eggs and see if she wants them. I have chick probiotic in the water for all of them. My boss has had chickens forever and her husband even breeds them. She just told me to give her lots of water with the probiotic. What is the best why to give her the egg? Should I hard-boil it?

Back
Top Bottom