1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 week old blue orpington - roo or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kikwi, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Kikwi

Kikwi Out Of The Brooder

Hi BYC! Got my first little chicks at the end of June and I am HOOKED. Can't tell you how many hours I've spent lurking on this site... Well, this is my first post and I hope you all can help me figure out if I've got a boy or girl here. Every week I think one or the other; last week I thought "boy" but now I'm not so sure. I thought the comb and wattles were supposed to shoot up and turn bright red by now? The flockmates are all different breeds I picked up from Just Struttin Farms, so I don't have another orp to compare this guy with.

Personality-wise, s/he is the dufus of the bunch. Cannonballs the poultry pile when it's time to sleep. Gallops around the run. By far the most awkwardly uncoordinated of them. Not aggressive, but calmly stands his/her ground when challenged or is confronted with something new (like a hummingbird -- the rest of them freaked out! [​IMG]). Meet "Hodor":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do y'all think?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    At the moment nothing says rooster, but with it not even 2 months old, that could change.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Orps tend to be fairly slow maturing, so surprise boys can show up pretty late.

4. Kikwi

Kikwi Out Of The Brooder

Ok, thanks! S/he was super late to feather out, so I'll keep an eye out. Crossing my fingers it's a girl!

5. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I am also thinking Girl! [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking that she is a pullet!

7. nursemkt

nursemkt Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    She is very cute!!!! :love

8. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    Pullet! Very pretty! [​IMG]

9. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just recently got a blue orpington.Pullet!

10. Pullet! So pretty! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by