6 week old chick has lost use of legs

Kizzy88

Hatching
Jul 16, 2022
Hi, I'm wondering if any one can give me some advice please. My 6 week old bantam cross chick has lost the use of her legs. It started a week ago and affected her left leg only, her toes where clenched tight and she was unable to weight bare. I took her to the vets who X-rayed her. They couldnt see anything but felt there was a bit of crunching in her hip, advised to keep in small crate to limit movement and some pain relief. Her toes are no longer clenched and she can move her leg, but still not stand on it. Now today her right leg is doing exactly the same thing and she is not able to get up at all, both legs seem to be trembling now as well. A bit of back story, she was attacked by one of the bigger hens almost 2 weeks ago, she was open mouth breathing and stretching her neck up for the night but seemed to recover without any obvious injuries. I thought that maybe her left leg had been damaged during the attack and had taken a few days to become obvious. She is eating and drinking fine, is very bright and alert, chirps away at me all day and preens her self. She just cant use her legs at all and sometimes still open mouth breathes slightly.

Can you get pictures of your chick, & legs, & hip area?
Here is her Xray and some photos.
Snapchat-1754499006.jpg
Snapchat-783580525.jpg
Snapchat-1358556777.jpg
Snapchat-792758145.jpg
Snapchat-1516734487.jpg
Snapchat-1771550129.jpg

If you haven’t tried using human B complex (or super B) vitamins, which contain all B’s, I would give her 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily. Crush it and add to a spoonful of water or a little scrambled egg, or give it into her beak. She may have a vitamin deficiency or an injury to her back. A chicken sling chair is a good way to get her upright and to help feed and water her. Here is a good link with examples of slings, especially posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

If you haven’t tried using human B complex (or super B) vitamins, which contain all B’s, I would give her 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily. Crush it and add to a spoonful of water or a little scrambled egg, or give it into her beak. She may have a vitamin deficiency or an injury to her back. A chicken sling chair is a good way to get her upright and to help feed and water her. Here is a good link with examples of slings, especially posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thank you for the advice on the vitamin B complex. I gave her half a tablet crushed and mixed in water, once a day for 5 days and she is now back up on her feet, scratching around the ground and even jumping up ontot the perch. Still needs to build some strength up but she seems to have improved massively. I really cant thank you enough.

Back
Top Bottom