6 week old chick screaming after day out

QueenBubbles

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2014
Davis, CA
I have 2 6-week olds and have been taking them out during the day for weeks now. Today they were very happy under a bush all day and didn't want to come in until dusk. They had water and food but maybe not as much food as other days.
The bigger, stupider one is now screaming nonstop until she tires out, rests and starts back up again.
I tried putting the lamp back on and offering food. The smarter one figures out that egg yolks are delish but the stupid one is too upset to pay attention. She will eat the starter and the baby kale leaves for awhile and then start screaming again.
She was totally fine until 2 hours ago when this all started. I am at a loss - anyone have any ideas?

Are these your first chickens? One of the best indicators of sickness and well being is the chicken poop. If you learn to "read" the daily droppings, you can often get an early hint at trouble coming.

So first thing you need to do is examine their morning poop. Runny? Color? Firm? Small and hard? Or none? Constipation can cause the symptoms you describe. Other conditions can cause watery poop.

Next thing is to examine the crops in the morning. Any full crops before the chickens have had a chance to eat? That's a sign of trouble.

Appetite is another clue. Is a chicken suddenly not eating or not eating as much? Examine the crop. Is it empty with a hard knot in it? That's like constipation only on the front end.

You might want to keep the chicks in the coop or run for a few days to observe them. Look for any other unusual behavior. And you do not need to provide heat for them any longer unless it gets down below freezing.

Thanks for the advice. I turned off the lights and ignored her and she settled down.
Her crop was decent size, so it wasn't that she was hangry.
I think she wants to be outside and it is time, so I moved them out in their new little coop today.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom