6 week old chicks, what can I supplement with?

Clminer

Chirping
Sep 27, 2018
Tennessee
I have 15 six and a half week old chicks. I’m feeding Purina non medicated start and grow. I want to give them something more in this cold weather and just something more to enjoy period. I would like to give them something to scratch for but all the scratch I’ve seen says only feed to adult chickens. Could I give them cracked corn to scratch at or no?? I gave them some old hamburger buns the other evening and they showed zero interest.

I didn't give my 15 week olds anything but Start and Grow feed and water for 10 weeks. I give them Scratch Grains as a treat daily starting on 10 weeks. 20181128_092623.jpg .GC

You can buy meal worms at pet stores, and give them those. I've never met a chicken that didn't like them, and they are healthy, with lots of protein. Some greens would be good for them, too, like maybe some finely chopped cabbage or kale. If you decide on grain, maybe millet, which you can buy at bulk bins in many grocery stores. But you'll need to give them grit, too, or they won't be able to digest the grain.

I have 15 six and a half week old chicks. I’m feeding Purina non medicated start and grow. I want to give them something more in this cold weather and just something more to enjoy period. I would like to give them something to scratch for but all the scratch I’ve seen says only feed to adult chickens. Could I give them cracked corn to scratch at or no?? I gave them some old hamburger buns the other evening and they showed zero interest.

I tried giving mine bread, but they had no idea what to do with it until I crumbled it up for them. I give them some dirt to scratch at, and a couple times a day I give them a small handful of cornmeal or ground up oatmeal, usually as I am cleaning out the brooder for the day. Now it seems they've come to expect it, because they are as noisy as possible in the morning until I go in there. Then they settle down and zonk out.

I started offering mine fresh greens at about 3 1/2 weeks. The first few times they didn’t quite know what to do with it, but within a week I could hold a smallish redbor kale leaf in the brooder and they would go nuts for it, tearing chunks off and running around shredding the pieces gleefully. Not a protein source, but certainly a treat!

Treats do help keep them warmer!

Treats should be 10% or under of their diet!
Feed 1-2 times a week- my girls love tomatoes with mealworms inside! (They're very spoiled!) And if you give them cat food, especially limit that! I would say hard boiled/scrambled eggs, but they're not laying yet. Darn it!

P.S. Never give them Scrambled/Boiled Eggs from a chicken out of your flock!

Treats do help keep them warmer!

Treats should be 10% or under of their diet!
Feed 1-2 times a week- my girls love tomatoes with mealworms inside! (They're very spoiled!) And if you give them cat food, especially limit that! I would say hard boiled/scrambled eggs, but they're not laying yet. Darn it!

P.S. Never give them Scrambled/Boiled Eggs from a chicken out of your flock!

Why is it you believe you shouldn't give them their own eggs scrambled? I know I and others have and haven't seen any ill effects. I'm just wondering if it's a personal choice or if you have any info on why not?

Back
Top Bottom