6 week old frizzle ok outdoors tonight with 55 temp?

CatWhisperer

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 16, 2013
northwest Arkansas
I have 10 almost 6 week old chicks that I started putting out in a chick coop 2 nights ago. 3 Brahma, 3 faverolles, and 4 bantams one of which is a frizzle. They are on gravel and have 2 chick brooder plates. I still have their cage set up indoors. The outside cage is open on 3 sides but I can put some wind blocks up.

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
I recently put 3 week old chicks out on a night that got down to 49 degrees. I did leave them a hot water bottle but I probably did not need it because they huddled together to keep warm. At 6 weeks old they can handle that temp unless they feathered extremely slow.

Eggs_With_Legs

Chirping
Oct 3, 2019
Northern NH
I have 10 almost 6 week old chicks that I started putting out in a chick coop 2 nights ago. 3 Brahma, 3 faverolles, and 4 bantams one of which is a frizzle. They are on gravel and have 2 chick brooder plates. I still have their cage set up indoors. The outside cage is open on 3 sides but I can put some wind blocks up.
It's always the best idea to make sure that when you first start putting your chicks outside that you have 4 sides of adequate wind barrier. Even without the wind, chicks take a little while to aclimate to the cooler temps. I've put mine out on rainy 60° days and nights before when they were young, and they were all fine. Always try and make sure that no predators can get to your chicks. It takes a very small space for a weasel or snake to get through. I try to give my babies a nice nest of sawdust or hay when they first go out, so they all can huddle together and keep warm.
Good luck!

Top Bottom