6 week old mixed breed chicks

Fluffy ears? 7 weeks old in this picture. She (hopefully a hen) is smaller than the others but fast. What breeds have fluffy ears at this age?

They're 7.5 weeks old in these pictures. The EE genes are keeping me skeptical. Their behavior is perplexing me also. Their desire to figure out pecking order means that they are all mounting each other and battling each other. Just when I think there's a "top" bird, the other birds win the duel and everything changes.

The other two "twin" black chicks are less feathered (roo indicator), have red combs and wattles (roo indicator), and stand tall (roo indicator), so I haven't included close ups of them. In the last picture here the chick formerly known as "Mary" (the black one) is absolutely gorgeous. Shiny and fluffy, but is also likely to be a roo. So, the previous predictions are still held up. Like I said, the EE genes mean that the three likely pullets might be cockerels too.

Wow, what a wonderfully unique bird!
Thank you and I completely agree. I am trying hard not to play favorites, because if they turn out to be roos we're making them dinner, but I do love this bird. When she was a chick, my two year old noticed that it had a reddish (but still yellow fluff) head and said, "Reddy!" That has been her name ever since. Each of the birds I pictured I would like to be hens that stay with us for years.

Back
Top Bottom