6 week old mixed breed chicks

I have finally accepted the reality. I will not know for sure for at least four more weeks, but more than likely I will not know for sure for another 8 weeks. SIGH.

I watched the chicks a lot today. They are beginning to be more friendly, even running to me when I come out the back door each night with scraps from dinner. They are fine with the kids (tough to accomplish with 7 yo, 5 yo and 2 yo kids). They have absolutely no consistent behavior that makes me think they are cockerel/pullet. The one thing that seems to be true is the Mr. Wings (formerly known as Mary- fluffy shiny beauty) seems to lead the pack a lot. He usually comes out first when I call them. He sits in the front of the other birds in their nest/roost shelf in their coop. He leads the pack to new places and back home at night. I've watched them challenge each other and honestly don't know where any of them stand in the pecking order. They're still a gang that sticks together.

Mr. Wings and Reddy:

sigh.
Waiting for the first crow/adult feathers is tough.

For those following along: The chicks are 8.5 weeks in these pictures. I'm beginning to believe I have 2 pullets and 4 cockerels. I'm sorry my camera didn't focus right on some of these pictures. The beard on Reddy is magnificent. I love her. Boo is the other pullet and is getting splashier as her feathers grow in, and her disposition is awesome. All of the black birds could be cockerels. I visited their parents and "siblings" yesterday. They are all so diverse. It's wonderful.

Reddy:

Boo:

The boys?:

(In this last picture Florentine is the camera shy guy in the back.)

If you're still following along, thanks. This is a fun adventure. After visiting the "siblings" I am further convinced that I will not know anything for sure until sickles, hackles, saddles, crows, or eggs show up. I will post more pictures after this weekend. My brother and sister in law are hoping to hatch a group from a couple broody hens. I'll either get some of the same age or some from the new hatch. I would like to end up with at least 5 hens.

"Mary" or "Marsala"?
This bird is getting "rooster red" on its wings, its comb is red, and it fights with the other cockerels.

Reddy is more friendly and still so cute.

The tally remains 4 cockerels and 2 pullets. We picked up a new chick from the same hatch date. She's all black and hopefully a pullet.

My chicken math has me up to 7 11-week-old chicks and 4 1.5-week-old chicks. More pictures of my flock:

Sorry, I was putting each chick in a different reply (each with two pics of the same chick) so that I could number them without overwhelming the thread. I guess I achieved the opposite. #1 is the black chick with red chest. #2 is the white chick with the red head. #3 is the white chick. #4/5/6 are all black with bits of white and are in this reply.
4:

5:

And finally #6: Very similar to #4

What were #4 & #6? My 4 week old cockerel is starting to get the white on his chest/breast.
IMG_20221128_104320218.jpg

Back
Top Bottom