6 week old pullet lost whole leg to predator

VictoriaTemple

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Southern Chester County, PA
Hi all. My 6 week old Easter Egger/Cochin pullet, Sunflower, lost her leg to an unknown predator 2 days ago. (GRAPHIC PICS) There is no stump of bone left, it seems to have been ripped out whole up to the pelvis. She is remarkably alert and mobile, which is a true blessing from God, but I am having trouble keeping a dressing on the wound because she is so active. Tape and gauze fall right off! She is of course in a bin by herself in my living room, and is actively caring for herself (eating, drinking, pooping, etc). I am keeping the wound slathered with Neosporin, and giving her a single baby aspirin once a day when she will take it, but is there anything else I can do to seal the wound against infection and help it heal? I have some Denagard antibiotics, but I hesitate to use them unless she shows signs of systemic infection (afraid of kidney damage in a pullet this young). Thank you!

0904D59F-888B-4110-93EB-B3B3DACB1269.jpeg

55DF455F-6A3D-49B6-941D-7417B753CEDE.jpeg

D0D01423-3773-43DA-A473-7BE948D85CF1.jpeg

Is the Neosporin pain relief or no? The pain relief stuff is highly toxic to chickens, so you probably shouldn’t use it. I would wrap the gauze in place with vet wrap or something up and around her shoulder so it won’t fall off. Make sure she is eating and drinking properly, and that’s really all I know to recommend.

What are you going to do with her when she’s older? She might not be able to be a chicken properly so she might have it be a house chicken.

The Neosporin is plain, no pain relief (I was aware of the toxicity, but thank you for the reminder🙂). What is a vet wrap? I think if I tried to wrap the gauze over her shoulder, she might strangle herself by accident.

As for my plans for her, I’m playing it by ear and praying on it. I will try to integrate her with the flock when she is older, and I hope she can make the adjustment, as she is very lovable, social, and outgoing. It may be a problem, however, especially since I have several roosters and one or two dominant hens. However, until yesterday (when he died of his lifelong illness) I had a little Marans cockerel that was small and weak, and everyone accepted him with no problem, he was simply the bottom of the pecking order and got by without offending anyone. Hopefully little Sunflower can adjust similarly, although before her injury she was adventurous, outgoing, and downright precocious!❤️ If Jesus takes her home, I will understand, but I need to do the best I can for my baby girl.🥰❤️✝️

The Neosporin is plain, no pain relief (I was aware of the toxicity, but thank you for the reminder🙂). What is a vet wrap? I think if I tried to wrap the gauze over her shoulder, she might strangle herself by accident.

As for my plans for her, I’m playing it by ear and praying on it. I will try to integrate her with the flock when she is older, and I hope she can make the adjustment, as she is very lovable, social, and outgoing. It may be a problem, however, especially since I have several roosters and one or two dominant hens. However, until yesterday (when he died of his lifelong illness) I had a little Marans cockerel that was small and weak, and everyone accepted him with no problem, he was simply the bottom of the pecking order and got by without offending anyone. Hopefully little Sunflower can adjust similarly, although before her injury she was adventurous, outgoing, and downright precocious!❤ If Jesus takes her home, I will understand, but I need to do the best I can for my baby girl.🥰❤✝
Vet wrap is basically what they put on casts, but for animals I think.

Back
Top Bottom