6 weeks, is this a rooster?

catsew

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Do you think one or both of these are roosters? I'm fairly certain the brown one is, but I have absolutely zero chicken experience, so I really have no idea. I don't even know what breed they are, if any, they're just mutts.

Also just some fun pics. They were trying to figure out the camera.
227.jpg

228.jpg

247.jpg

230.jpg

And a video if that helps.

Thanks.

I'm no expert, but I would say both are roos. That's a lot of red comb for a 6-week old pullet.

Love the pics! I have so many of those; my chickens like to stare at themselves in the glass on the back of my phone...

All of the chickens have the red on their heads like that and the things on their face. The parents I mean.

The parents are full grown. pullets don't get their big, red combs and wattles until they're ready to lay, around 16-20 weeks. At least, that's what I've read.

Quote:
You mean the combs and wattles? Yes, its true, both genders have those, however they tend to develop sooner in boys than girls and wind up bigger too. On the gray chick, one of the indicators for me is the shape of the comb that is very typical of a single comb boy.

I agree with what others have said on them being roosters. The combs and wattles tend to develop earlier on roosters. None of the 7 week old girls I have at the moment have combs or wattles that large or red yet, but the boys I have are looking like the ones you posted.

Oh I see. That all makes sense then. I guess we'll be eating the brown one then. The gray one is real nice and sweet. I guess I don't need to worry about finishing the coop then.

Back
Top Bottom