6yo Barred Rock with sour crop?

geowoman

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2013
Magnolia, TX
Hi there - I found my favorite girl, Dottie, lethargic this morning and making a snoring sound. The sound eventually stopped by mid-day but the lethargy continued. She has not eaten anything today but had a lot of water before heading in and going to bed tonight. (She got up and roosted with her friends.) I picked her up and a foul-smelling liquid came out. Obviously sour crop, it's unmistakable. I palpated her crop and felt absolutely nothing in there. She continued to spit up the liquid. Questions:

1. your favorite sour crop treatment - I'm guessing I"ll isolate her with ACV water and yogurt, but does anyone use the yeast infection suppositories or oregano oil, etc?

2. I have noticed her "snoring" at night for a few weeks. I'm wondering if there is an underlying condition. Thoughts on that?

Thanks so much!

Crop problems are often a symptom of an underlying condition - reproductive disorders, worms, coccidiosis and infection are a few.

You don't mention whether she is still laying eggs? Have you noticed if she's having any swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen.

The snoring is a bit concerning - have you looked inside the beak and throat for any indication of canker, plaques or lesions.

These 2 articles are ones that I would use as guidelines for treatment of crop problems. Miconizole either suppository or cream is often used to treat sour crop, both discuss that. One has a bit more details, while the other one is a quick snapshot of treatment.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Thanks Wyorp Rock! I don't see anything inside her mouth. I almost wonder if there's a blockage somewhere. She had some yogurt with monistat and some water with ACV this morning and a lot of it didn't stay down. When she would drink, the yogurt fell into the water.

Thanks Wyorp Rock! I don't see anything inside her mouth. I almost wonder if there's a blockage somewhere. She had some yogurt with monistat and some water with ACV this morning and a lot of it didn't stay down. When she would drink, the yogurt fell into the water.
That doesn't sound too good.

Is she still laying eggs? She may have a blockage or she might have some swelling from reproductive problems that's slowing down the process.

I haven't seen her lay in a while, but I'm not sure. Her sister laid the other day, so I suppose its possible. I don't feel any swelling in her abdomen. I"ve had a few chickens with reproductive issues and I'm familiar with that kind of swelling. I really don't feel anything, which makes me wonder if something is trapped higher up? Can a yeast infection cause a blockage like that?

She may have a blocked gizzard or part of the intestines blocked.
Usually sour crop is the result of food not moving through the system, it essentially sits and sours/ferments and becomes yeasty.

If interested, she may be suffering from something like this. The photo is in post#6-7 showing what was found blocking the intestines after necropsy.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sour-crop-in-bantam.1258459/

Back
Top Bottom