7 dust?

New2TheCoop

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Central, LA
On a few post I have seen people say that they use 7 dust to keep down on insects. My question is how should I apply this? And do I need to remove the chickens before doing it?

Quote:
First make sure it is 5% Sevin.

You dust it on the chickens, making sure to get it under the feathers, down to the skin. Paying attention to the vent area, under the wings and between the legs. Try to not get it into their eyes and/or nostrils.
Some people sprinkle it on the chicken, and work it under the feathers. Some put it in a toe of a nylon and use it like a powder puff.
You can also put it in their dust bath.
You can use it on the wooden parts of your coop. Where some parasites will hide in the cracks of the wood.

Imp

I put it in their dust bath area... It's a covered turtle sandbox. It also has diatomacious earth in it, fireplace/pellet stove ashes, and play sand. They LOVE it when I open their "spa"

46869_172443_161517613902808_100001337108712_326179_8103508_o.jpg

Also if I need to treat them I find a cardboard box that will fit them but won't allow a lot of flapping/moving around. I put the chicken in the box and pour some dust on the back and neck. I then (using gloved hands) rub the dust in. Move each wing off the body, apply dust to the chicken wing pit then rub in. Flip the bird over, apply dust to belly, rub in. Last apply to vent area and rub in.

I'd also wear a breathing mask if I were you.

Last edited:
A quick way to dust them is "shake and bake." Put sevin dust in a pillow case, then put the chicken in the pillow case with its head sticking out the top. Roll the chicken around in the pillow case, then remove the chicken from the pillow case. Put some dust on your fingers and rub it onto the chickens head and neck, avoiding the eyes, nostrils and mouth. Then release the chicken and she'll shake herself off and go about her business.

I had purchased it for my fruit trees and chickens but when I was reading the back it said harmful to animals. Am I missing something?? If I put it in their dust bath area or shake and bake them aren't they going to ingest some? I'm confused
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom