7 month chickens hatched in March not laying

Liz-6

Chirping
Mar 1, 2022
Chester County, PA
I have four 7 month old pullets, only one is laying small eggs. The other three seem undeveloped, not full size, small combs etc. speckled Sussex, barnevelder, austrolorp. My columbian Wyandotte laying for about 3 weeks, very small eggs. I also have two barnyard mix I adopted at 12 weeks, they have been laying since late July, huge beautiful eggs almost every day. Are my heritage breeds stunted? They started chick starter until 14 weeks, then 18% organic locally milled feed. 3 weeks ago I switched them to purina layer organic. They get meal worms daily, not too many. Should I supplement my non layers? I’m worried their growth will be permanently stunted.

Attachments

• FB83FCFA-9B0D-4768-961A-0144EE43B17A.jpeg
    FB83FCFA-9B0D-4768-961A-0144EE43B17A.jpeg
    773.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 5FE23BCE-EDA2-4026-87B3-FAC347D0EE1C.jpeg
    5FE23BCE-EDA2-4026-87B3-FAC347D0EE1C.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 3AC89003-A7F1-4302-96B0-D3F639829861.jpeg
    3AC89003-A7F1-4302-96B0-D3F639829861.jpeg
    816.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 7EEDC6A3-3B5D-4B73-9662-F26209CA7EE1.jpeg
    7EEDC6A3-3B5D-4B73-9662-F26209CA7EE1.jpeg
    697.3 KB · Views: 10
  • BB95EFDA-B771-45E1-9E99-65061A6A87D5.jpeg
    BB95EFDA-B771-45E1-9E99-65061A6A87D5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
You are looking at pullets coming to lay in the fall...which can be tricky.

They are developing in shortening days. Some will lay beginning September-October. Others, especially those breeds that may take a bit longer to develop, will be affected by the shortening days more and not begin to lay until spring.

I would definitely keep them on layer feed and watch to see if someone is laying where not expected.

If they are healthy, just not laying, then wait until spring. Pullets need 12 to 14 hours of daylight to trigger the hormones that start egg production. As stated, some are more sensitive than others.

My barnyard mixes have hybrid vigor and always lay earlier and faster. My broody hen hatched chicks ditto. But some purebreds that have been artificially hatched, and brooded, often take longer to develop.

My experiences.

LofMc

A related question, will my delayed pullets grow their full combs and wattles in the spring at the same time their laying hormones kick in? They will be one year old mid March 2023. Or should I expect them to physically mature and fill out this Fall and Winter?

A related question, will my delayed pullets grow their full combs and wattles in the spring at the same time their laying hormones kick in? They will be one year old mid March 2023. Or should I expect them to physically mature and fill out this Fall and Winter?
They don’t look stunted to me. Some birds just never grow very big combs or wattles. It depends on the individual.

If they are healthy, just not laying, then wait until spring. Pullets need 12 to 14 hours of daylight to trigger the hormones that start egg production. As stated, some are more sensitive than others.
Interesting. Do you know if there could be more reproductive issues due to this? Other than obvious calcium issue would you expect shorter days have any impact on shell quality, soft shells?

Are you still waiting on your Barnevelder girls? I have 2 that were hatched mid-April (omg they are gorgeous and they know it) and I am still waiting on them. They are 25 weeks today, but I have read they lay about 28 weeks. So it gives me hope it will be soon, but also it makes me nervous that they will skip it all together since days are shorter and wait until spring. I am soooo looking forward to seeing their eggs!

Update: my 29 week old austrolorp, barnevelder, and speckled Sussex still not laying. So I’m thinking Lady of McCamley may be right. Perhaps something caused their delay, and now not enough light hours to trigger onset. My columbian Wyandotte is laying a few small eggs per week… I started crushed garlic in their water alternating with apple cider vinegar. Also providing extra high protein snacks (not too much)

Update: my 29 week old austrolorp, barnevelder, and speckled Sussex still not laying. So I’m thinking Lady of McCamley may be right. Perhaps something caused their delay, and now not enough light hours to trigger onset. My columbian Wyandotte is laying a few small eggs per week… I started crushed garlic in their water alternating with apple cider vinegar. Also providing extra high protein snacks (not too much)
Wow, thanks for the update! I may be in the same boat with my barnies.

Still not laying?
I have a hen (A local breed called Bignee) who I got as having 6 weeks in April. (I took my profile pic of her in April.) She has been fully developed for a while now, but hasn't laid yet. She goes to the nesting box, but nothing. Sigh. This is her now.
IMG_20221007_081444.jpg

Back
Top Bottom