7 Month Muscovy - Hen or Drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aoxa, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'm pretty sure that Muscovy don't quack. They aren't really ducks.

Maybe someone who actually has Muscovy will weigh in on whether they quack or not.

I've studied your photos and I am reasonably sure that what you have there is a seagull.

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    hahahaha... a seagull. [​IMG]

Seriously though, Muscovy don't quack, and yours looks to be female going by the facial development and size. They grow slower than mallard types, and can take extra time to lay. Should be this season though.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They can quack if you frighten them (ie: try to pick them up), I've done it before, but it's not working now.

LOL She does look like a seagull!

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Thank you :) I really hope so! My chickens would not appreciate another drake trying to mate with them. :rolleyes:

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    You all are just kidding about Muscovy not quacking, right? [​IMG]

I wouldn't worry about her not doing it when you grabbed her this time.. not all of mine do.. again i have one who is a real honker [​IMG] but i also have some who are fairly quiet on the whole.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    I have heard my girls quack before, it's not something they do often, it's usually when i pick them up and they don't want me too, or the drake has a hold of them and they don't like it.

7. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    def looks like a lady to me

8. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    its definatley female, the quacking thing isnt really the best way to tell, they only do it when something is wrong, and its not like the mallard quack more like a honk.

9. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    It's true! Muscovies are kind of known for being SUPER quiet. They usually just make little cooing noises. The ducks you hear honking and quacking and making noise non-stop are mallards. They are actually 2 different species of duck. At least I've never heard of a muscovy honking all the time, but hey... I guess they're all individuals, right?

And just to add my opinion, I think she's a girl also.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    I have 2 that are broody right now and they are hilarious to watch, they come out of their rooms looking like they want to kick some butt, if anyone looks at them wrong they squeak outloud, but other than that you never know their here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by