7 Month Muscovy - Hen or Drake?

I'm pretty sure that Muscovy don't quack. They aren't really ducks.

Maybe someone who actually has Muscovy will weigh in on whether they quack or not.

I've studied your photos and I am reasonably sure that what you have there is a seagull.

hahahaha... a seagull.
gig.gif

Seriously though, Muscovy don't quack, and yours looks to be female going by the facial development and size. They grow slower than mallard types, and can take extra time to lay. Should be this season though.

I'm pretty sure that Muscovy don't quack.  They aren't really ducks.

Maybe someone who actually has Muscovy will weigh in on whether they quack or not.

I've studied your photos and I am reasonably sure that what you have there is a seagull.

They can quack if you frighten them (ie: try to pick them up), I've done it before, but it's not working now.

LOL She does look like a seagull!

hahahaha... a seagull. :gig

Seriously though, Muscovy don't quack, and yours looks to be female going by the facial development and size. They grow slower than mallard types, and can take extra time to lay. Should be this season though.

Thank you :) I really hope so! My chickens would not appreciate another drake trying to mate with them. :rolleyes:

You all are just kidding about Muscovy not quacking, right?
hide.gif

I wouldn't worry about her not doing it when you grabbed her this time.. not all of mine do.. again i have one who is a real honker
lol.png
but i also have some who are fairly quiet on the whole.

hide.gif

I wouldn't worry about her not doing it when you grabbed her this time.. not all of mine do.. again i have one who is a real honker
lol.png

I have heard my girls quack before, it's not something they do often, it's usually when i pick them up and they don't want me too, or the drake has a hold of them and they don't like it.

its definatley female, the quacking thing isnt really the best way to tell, they only do it when something is wrong, and its not like the mallard quack more like a honk.

It's true! Muscovies are kind of known for being SUPER quiet. They usually just make little cooing noises. The ducks you hear honking and quacking and making noise non-stop are mallards. They are actually 2 different species of duck. At least I've never heard of a muscovy honking all the time, but hey... I guess they're all individuals, right?

And just to add my opinion, I think she's a girl also.

hide.gif

lol.png

Last edited:
I have 2 that are broody right now and they are hilarious to watch, they come out of their rooms looking like they want to kick some butt, if anyone looks at them wrong they squeak outloud, but other than that you never know their here.

Back
Top Bottom