7 month old Black Langshans STILL aren't laying

Peace

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 25, 2012
NS, Canada
I have 8 Black Langshans that I've raised from 1 week old. They were born mid-May. They STILL aren't laying. Even their combs are still pinkish. They have light on a timer and get outside often. I switched them over to layer feed about a month ago at the advice of my neighbour.

Any ideas???

Chickens slow down laying in the winter due to the shorter days. The light should help but they might start later because of the shorter days. I've even heard they may not start till spring but doubt that.

Some breeds of chickens just are slow to mature. I have some rir from a hatchery and some heritage ones from a breeder the hatchery birds all started laying at about 20 weeks, the heritage ones are about 28 weeks and don't look to be even close to pol.I know waiting can be hard but the one thing I can tell you is that they will lay in their own time. the good news is that most birds that take longer to lay will start out laying bigger eggs and seem to lay for a longer time before slowing down. Of the hatchery rir I have the first one to lay started laying peewee eggs and at 8 months old is still laying a medium egg.
You are also fighting a couple of things that will slow down the process shorter days and colder weather. I don't feed my girls layer feed I keep them on grower at 20 protein till pol then change to 18% grower with oyster shell on the side. Now I know that some people disagree but it seems to keep them a little healthier and make about a 20% difference in egg production. I have a friend who is an old school farmer and I hatched out some orpingtons and. split them with him this year. I kept mine on the higher protein and he switched to a layer at 16 weeks. Mine have been laying for 3 months and he's still waiting. Chickens will do just fine on layer feed I just like the higher protein and I really like it while their molting and in colder weather.

Your girls will lay just in their own time.

We are having really mild weather in OK. So my young ones are off a little but not much. I grow a patch of chicory and its still green so there still getting green stuff. Lots of water is good too.

I live in SC and I'm having the same problem. I got mine in April and have 7 hens and 2 rooster's. They haven't laid a single thing yet. I been given them laying mash and that still don't help.

Back
Top Bottom