7-month old Leghorn Hen - Acts normal but is stunted and looks rough

StGeorgeChicken

Hatching
Nov 16, 2023
I have a 7-month old Leghorn Hen that acts normal physically (she runs around, eats, roosts) but is stunted in growth. She is smaller than the other hens and has a small, sad looking comb, but her eyes and beak are clear and bright. She also hasn't started laying and her feathers just look rough like she isn't preening herself. The alpha female tends to chase her off every now and then and I wonder if she knows something I don't.

When the other 3 hens I have started laying, she would scoop their eggs up out of my roll away box and brood on them. This was a problem for weeks until I separated her for a couple of days and now she doesn't do it. I hoped the break in brooding would get her laying, but still nothing; and it's been weeks.

I just don't know what to do. She is sweet and smart, but just seems off physically. Is there dwarfism or growth hormone issues chickens can have? Could this be related to an illness?

Where did you get her? Can you post a picture?
We got her and three other chicks from a farm store last spring. She could just be growing out adult feathers later?

20231117_170822.jpg

20231117_170719.jpg

IMG_20231118_010502_414.jpg

Okay, so she is fine? This is my first flock so all of this is new to me. So a Bantam is just a miniatured version of another breed and she should eventually lay then? Sorry, so many questions.

Back
Top Bottom